Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
}<-('o')-
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I saw in the National Geographic Catalogue, an advertisement to get your very own custom Chinese Chop carved (in Jade!) by authentic Chinese artisans to put on your letterhead/art, etc.
I've wanted one of these for years to put on my paintings.
So, I ordered not one, but two (one for back-up). I asked for (what else) "KC4"

About 2 weeks after I ordered - someone from National Geo called to say that they cannot do initials or numbers? Why? He didn't know - he just said it had to be two spelled out names - no exceptions. Ok, I said, make it Kim Four (knowing that this was probably as close as I could get)...

So this is what has come back..... WTH? How does Kim Four sound like Ji Mu Fu?

I know that some Chinese think the number 4 can mean death and I assumed that this was the real reason they would not carve it - and they seem to have gotten close to the sound of it with Fu...but ji mu for Kim?

What do these characters MEAN? (other than Thanks for your money, SUCKER!) :D
Does anyone know?

I don't want to stamp something on my paintings that is rude or insulting....

I just don't know (if they were working with recreating sounds anyways) why they didn't just come up with the characters for the sounds Kay Cee For? That's what I really want.

Then again - maybe that sounds rude in Mandarin or Cantonese.....:yikes:

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
the string of character really carries no meaning other than your name. pronounciation is in mandarin chinese (which is the standard to go by these days). someone else could have come up with a different set of characters that sound closer to K C 4.

it is difficult to find a character that sounds close to the letter K in mandarin pronounciation.

much easily to do in the cantonese dialect. In the cantonese dialect, you can choose a set of chinese characters that pronounce "guy" "see" "four".

·
}<-('o')-
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Laptop Surgeon,
That explanation helps. There is no character for the "kay" sound.

Perhaps next time a friend of mine visits her family in Hong Kong, I will take her up on her offer to have a couple of these chops done for me with the Cantonese pronounciation.:)

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Perhaps you should drop the whole Chinese chops idea and have an Egyptian cartouche made up using hieroglyphs. :D;)

·
}<-('o')-
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps you should drop the whole Chinese chops idea and have an Egyptian cartouche made up using hieroglyphs. :D;)
Cool idea! That would be different...Now, I wonder how would I go about getting that done....Hmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Actually, KC4 in Cantonese can actually 'mean' something (other than your name). In Cantonese, KC sounds very much like the word for "in fact" or "actually" and well, 4 is four. :)

·
}<-('o')-
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, KC4 in Cantonese can actually 'mean' something (other than your name). In Cantonese, KC sounds very much like the word for "in fact" or "actually" and well, 4 is four. :)
Well, that would work as well - Thanks poisonmonkey!

Looks like I've got a few options to consider....

Meanwhile the Ji Mu Fu goes back to Nat Geo.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts