Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a battery update 1.1 patche available. I've installed it without problem, but right now, I can't see any difference in battery consumption.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well *I* sure noticed a difference! and NOT for the better!

My computer has been plugged in for about 24 hours so needless to say it was completely charged.

I then installed the update (still plugged in) and restarted my computer.

When it came back online I looked up at my batter meter and it said "calculating". Well it said that for like 5 minutes so I was like? What??

So I unplugged my computer to let it run on battery, and I looked back up at the battery meter and it had a little red left (meaning it was close to out of juice) and said "calculating".

So I waited a few seconds thinking it would work itself out and go back up to fully charged.....NOPE! The reserve battery warning came on and now it has 4 minutes left!!????

I SURE hope this isn't going to be a problem! I'll let it go to sleep, plug it back in and fully recharge it. I guess after that we'll see if there's a problem :( :rolleyes:

update: the "0:01" left on my battery meter has lasted almost 10 minutes. sheesh.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Pamela - The update is supposed to improve battery life, so its likely you'll need to recalibrate the battery, run it until it it puts itself to sleep, then plug it in, shut it down and let it recharge. Battery lives have been improved quite a bit on some laptops (I've heard usually between 30min and an hour).

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Pamela. Try recharging it till full. Since installing the battery update, I've been running my iBook for two hours and I still have over and hour of juice left (and that's with the Airport activated)

Don't forget that if you rely on battery power to download and install a major OS update (i.e. 10.3.2) that you're going to run out of juice faster than normal (the longer your HD spins, the faster your battery is depleted of power). Same goes for running antivirus applications and operating a Firewire extention.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Is 10.3.2 just a battery update, or is there more to it? I haven't run SW update yet (I'm on a 10.2.x machine right now) so I didn't/couldn't read the description.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Lars - There are two updates.

A bettery update for laptops and 10.3.2

Check MacRumors, MacCentral or other Mac Sites for the full run down, as there is no need to retype it here. MacRumors had the description of each one the moment they were available for download. MacMinute had it about a half hour later and MacCentral was even later. (MacCentral doesn't even have the 10.3.2 update posted but they do have the battery one).

For Your Convenience:

10.3.2 Released (I do have to note that it was submitted by none other then our neemasaeddi)

Battery Update

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
This battery update has totally messed everything up. First of all the time on my powerbook has now decreased to 2:45 overall where it was at 3:30 before...and it won't wake from sleep unless I plug it back in...and other stuff that doesn't make sense. geez.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Pamela

It's hard to call at this stage, 'cuz I am in the middle of ripping loads of CDs, but following battery revalibration I expect a longer battery life. So far so good.

FYI: Airport extreme, iTunes ripping & playing at the same time, bright screen and max processor. I get 1:50 from full charge which looks reasonable.

[EDIT several hours later, including office Xmas lunch...]
Still going strong. Battery as good as before, possibly better. Time to plug in now

[ December 19, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Moscool ]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I installed the update, emptied the battery and fully recharged it again, as recommended to me. Now I notice that it takes MUCH longer for the battery to fully charge when plugged in to the AC adapter. Anyone seeing this? Any way to fix it, it's kinda annoying...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts