Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 867/G4 tower with 1.12GB RAM. Normally these are the apps that I have running. I've been doing a lot of work in PS and I was wondering if having these apps running will slow down the performance of PS? Or do I have enough RAM that it isn't a problem? Will creating a scratch disk on a separate partition increase the speed of PS? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
Depends on what you are doing in PS and the size of the files. 1 gig of RAM is not generous these days. ITunes is surprising on the processor draw.
Your biggest gain tho would be to put a pair of 40s with 8 meg caches in the 100 meg bay in a RAID and get your through put way up.
This will really help with big PS files and generally boost the speed overall.
PS tends to use 5x the files size in RAM and then hits the drives. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
994 Posts
First - The apps: Finder PS DW BBEdit Fetch (that's the lion, I liked the dog better) Camino Safari....

OS X has dynamic memory (RAM) managament so it should matter what apps you are running, as long as they are not running int the background (working is working). When one is in the foreground, it get dibs on the RAM.
That said, more is always better and it does depend on the file size you are working with. RAM is cheap right now, I am think about sticking another 512 in my machine (1 Gig in ther now).
Pretty sure a G5 would make everything better...

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Now can someone tell me what programs those icons represent?

I know finder, photoshop, dreamwaeaver, X, X, X, safari, entourage?, itunes

what's that lion?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't believe I need to add more RAM. I remember when I bought this machine I thought, whoa 1-gig of RAM who would ever need more. I have noticed that in PS the scratch size is saying that close to 500MB of RAM are allocated to PS. No wonder my system feels slow, that means everything else is running on only 500MB of RAM. I wonder if I should add another 512 stick or bite the bullet and go for the G5.

- Dreamweaver - BBEdit - Fetch - Camino - Safari -

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
It was said:
ITunes is surprising on the processor draw.

This can be minimized by either closing the iTunes window (but no the app) or by minimizing the iTunes window down to it's smallest possible size, like this:
<center>

</center>

From some things I have read and some small tests I did, the iTunes Display[1] seems to be the culprit when it comes to iTunes CPU draw.

[1]<center>

</center>

--PB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts