Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been paying my $90 Rogers bill for almost a year now and it seems far too expensive for what I use it for. What I really want to know if what is the cheapest option to get HD TSN. I have the VIP Package with some discount for the first 12 months which is just over $50, then $13 for the HD Box $7 for the varietés package (so that I get the Habs games on RDS, I'll be cancelling that soon as CBC shows all of the playoff games). then the digital services fee of $3 and the HDTV specialty channel package for $9 (this seems to be the only way to get HD TSN). Plus taxes takes up to $90. I tried getting basic cable and adding the specialty channel package, but i can't get TSN HD if I don't subscribe to the standard definitiion. So I upgraded to digital plus, but at the time it was cheaper to get the VIP package.

Anybody know a cheaper way to get HD TSN, I don't really care about anything else, the girlfriend likes TLC, but it's not a dealbreaker. I don't watch much tv, except for sports so $90 to get HD TSN seems ridiculous (soon to be $83 when I cancel RDS)

I am in Ontario, in Kitchener. There has to be a better way!

·
Premium Member
4,559 Posts
I'm with shaw direct (formerly starchoice) and i pay about $35 per month (taxes in).... but that's on a special promo (digital value bundle) that i'm not sure they offer anymore (maybe give them a call).

Anyways, i do have to pay an extra $5 per month for their HD sports bundle, and i also get a couple of extra soccer channels (but they're not HD). When i was shopping around they were the best deal out there.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
This from the myp2p site:
Beginner's Guide
P2P, peer to peer, a fantastic technique to get video to thousands of viewers, simply and easy. You need to connect to a channel on a program, then it will start "buffering" , which means uploading/downloading untill the stream is good enough to watch. Below we will explain easily how it works. So far all programs are for Windows only, it isn't suitable yet for Mac OSX / Apple . Only Sopcast is available for Linux also.
???

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Watching any sort of sports on your computer sucks. Not near the quality of satellite or cable. Pay up and enjoy excellent HDTV or suck it up on your Apple. Your choice. Me? I'm watching it all on my 46" Samsung like I was in the stands. For $90 a month, it's a bargain.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
Watching any sort of sports on your computer sucks. Not near the quality of satellite or cable. Pay up and enjoy excellent HDTV or suck it up on your Apple. Your choice. Me? I'm watching it all on my 46" Samsung like I was in the stands. For $90 a month, it's a bargain.
I've seen some really clean sports feeds on Justin.tv. It's great for watching events that aren't being carried locally. (by "clean" I mean not true HD, but still better than standard definition on a tube TV. That having been said, I've seen plenty of nasty feeds too.

$90/mo for TV is no bargain. It's a flat out rip-off.

·
Hoes R US
1,925 Posts
Hi all,

I've been paying my $90 Rogers bill for almost a year now and it seems far too expensive for what I use it for. What I really want to know if what is the cheapest option to get HD TSN. I have the VIP Package with some discount for the first 12 months which is just over $50, then $13 for the HD Box $7 for the varietés package (so that I get the Habs games on RDS, I'll be cancelling that soon as CBC shows all of the playoff games). then the digital services fee of $3 and the HDTV specialty channel package for $9 (this seems to be the only way to get HD TSN). Plus taxes takes up to $90. I tried getting basic cable and adding the specialty channel package, but i can't get TSN HD if I don't subscribe to the standard definitiion. So I upgraded to digital plus, but at the time it was cheaper to get the VIP package.

Anybody know a cheaper way to get HD TSN, I don't really care about anything else, the girlfriend likes TLC, but it's not a dealbreaker. I don't watch much tv, except for sports so $90 to get HD TSN seems ridiculous (soon to be $83 when I cancel RDS)

I am in Ontario, in Kitchener. There has to be a better way!
Move to Quebec where Videotron doesn't rip you off as much. Also Bell TV has an a la carte pricing menu in Quebec only. In other words after you pay for basic service you can pick the channels you want and not pay for the others.

I was in the same situation last summer and I disconnected the cable to save $1200 per year (the savings helped me purchase an iPad:D). We've been living off of a few HD channels using an antenna, but TSN and RDS are cable only services.

I'm a Habs fan too, so there is pain.

I wrote a letter to the CRTC complaining that Bell TV is discriminating by offering a la carte pricing in Quebec only. I want the same service and I am only minutes from the Quebec border. I have not yet received a reply. I strongly suggest you do the same.

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
rgray,

Most of them work with Macs. Pretty much just SOPCAST doesn't work.

SINC<

Many times, usually for big games, the stream will be much higher than standard cable tv. It looks just as good as HD on my 24" monitor!

This site is key for anyone who doesn't watch the standard Canadian diet, American hand ball, baseball, hockey, golf.

Rugby, cricket, football etc. are everyone on that site.

·
Premium Member
1,267 Posts
I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen articles describing workarounds to get Sopcast working in OS X using VLC and/or MPlayer.

·
Premium Member
2,788 Posts
I've always found that calling Rogers and flat out telling them that you feel you are paying too much is the best way get get things worked out. They always have some kind of discount promo that they can throw your way. There is just too much revenue involved for them to let you start shopping around ;)

Always works for me.

·
Registered
6,500 Posts
Go Telus TV, get the basic $28 package and then add the sports package for $11. That's $39. I would rent a box month to month to start as they don't have the best HD quality, there is a bit of noticeable artifacting available. If after a month you don't mind it, sign a two year contract to get your free HDPVR (three = HDPVR + one addtional regular box)

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for that, I think I mentioned that I was in Ontario, just looked up Telus TV, looks good, but it's only available in BC and AB. Thanks though.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
rgray,

Most of them work with Macs. Pretty much just SOPCAST doesn't work.
Can I trouble you to go into a bit of detail as to how you make this work - ie. required software, etc.? PM me if you prefer. I am particularly interested in F1...

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Can I trouble you to go into a bit of detail as to how you make this work - ie. required software, etc.? PM me if you prefer. I am particularly interested in F1...
Here is the list of shows for the Pachuca-Toluca game today:

MyP2P.eu :: CONCACAF Champions League - Pachuca vs. Toluca

Any stream that has Veetle, VLC, MediaPlayer or TVU will work on a Mac - with add ons. I have them all with no problem. You click on the link and it takes you to an external site.

Here is an 800kb/s stream from Veetle:

Veetle

That is very good quality video, for free anyway.

Need anymore help? Note, when the game ends all the streams die. So you might come back and all those links are dead :)

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
I was in the same situation last summer and I disconnected the cable to save $1200 per year (the savings helped me purchase an iPad:D). We've been living off of a few HD channels using an antenna, but TSN and RDS are cable only services.
Did the same thing two years ago - ditched cable completely, used a portion of the money saved to buy a few seasons of various shows we want to watch through Apple TV, and grab whatever we can OTA for those times you just want to watch TV for the sake of watching. I find it's rare I want to do that though, and it feels so odd sitting through commercials.

·
Hoes R US
1,925 Posts
I should mention that one of the advantages of OTA (over the air) HD is that you receive an uncompressed signal and that the quality id superior to any cable or satellite providers signal. I also purchased an eyetv device so that I capture stuff and record it. I then remove the ads and watch the content when I want.

Thanks to Adrian for his postings re. streaming sites. I'm planning on catching the habs game tonight.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
You guys doing OTA-TV - What are you using for antennae?

·
Hoes R US
1,925 Posts
You guys doing OTA-TV - What are you using for antennae?
I'm using a simple rabbit ear antennae ($20 about 20 years ago) that i used to use for radio when I was in Toronto.
It pulls in CBC HD french and english. PBS from Watertown NY, is going to boost it's signal into Ottawa this summer. I may build a yagi type antennae this summer to see what else I can get.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I'm using a simple rabbit ear antennae ($20 about 20 years ago) that i used to use for radio when I was in Toronto.
It pulls in CBC HD french and english. PBS from Watertown NY, is going to boost it's signal into Ottawa this summer. I may build a yagi type antennae this summer to see what else I can get.
Pardon my ignorance - "yagi" ???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts