Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I was wondering if anyone has come across a way to watch TV on your Mac for cheap. I have seen the EyeTV but that costs a lil too much ;) Thanks!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have a Belkin VideoBus ll that I don't use anymore.
It only works in OS 8-9.x not OS X and Belkin doesn't have drivers for OS X.
I'll let it go for $70 including shipping. :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The VideoBus didnt look like it had a coaxial cable input on the picture... how are you watching tv?

·
Registered
762 Posts
You need a VCR or something with coaxial IN and Video and Audio OUT. to hook into it for watching TV.
I was going to watch TV but since I use OS X all the time, I couldn't without having to boot into OS 9. It also doesn't work in Classic mode either through OS X.

·
Registered
259 Posts
If you have a digital video camera, you could do it.

Get an old TV converter or an old VCR (either is about $30 at a pawn shop). Patch the video-out cable to the video camera. Then connect the camera to your mac via firewire.

Using a program such as BTV (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/12147), you can then view the input stream.

Of course, this solution uses an expensive video camera...

-SJ.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.... I'd kinda like to go for a solution where I don't have to hook up a VCR or Camcorder, but thanks anyways guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neema Saeedi:
Hey. I was wondering if anyone has come across a way to watch TV on your Mac for cheap. I have seen the EyeTV but that costs a lil too much ;) Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I use Apple Video Player Version 1.7.3 operating under OS 9.1 on an old Performa 6320CD (112MHz, 603e processor). This is an A/V Performa and the Video Player app came with the original OS which was something like 7.5.3. I've just kept it with every OS update up to 9.1 which is as far as this Performa can go. Don't see why it wouldn't work on your later model Performa if you have the A/V card with the co-ax cable and RCA audio and video input jacks. However, I haven't checked to see if this old Video Player app is still available for download from Apple.

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
Unfortunatley the choices in OsX are more expensive than 9
As time goes by with more companies making X stuff you should see more variety of items for TV and analog video
Setting up a firewire Camcorder with a vcr is interesting as no proprietary devices are needed, hmmmm...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
K.... well, if there is an OS9 solution that won't cost a lot... i might do that. jessure mentioned an AV card for a Performa... mine obviously doesnt have that (i wouldn't have posted in the first place if it did!) does nayone know where i can get one? thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Neema Saeedi:
K.... well, if there is an OS9 solution that won't cost a lot... i might do that. jessure mentioned an AV card for a Performa... mine obviously doesnt have that (i wouldn't have posted in the first place if it did!) does nayone know where i can get one? thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, here's some more (useless?) research:
The 6360 has a PCI slot, a comm slot (modem/ethernet?), a TV tuner slot and a video in/out slot.
To use as a TV tuner, you need the Apple TV/FM Radio System (Part M4586LL/A) which includes a plug-in card for the TV slot. The card has the cable/av connectors on the back, built in antennae for radio, and the package comes with the necessary software and has a remote control for operating TV, Radio, CD player.
However, you also need a video-in card for the video slot. The video card is part of the Apple Video system (part M2894LL/A).
If you already have a video-in card, the Apple TV/FM Radio System is backwards compatible.
NOTE: the video-in card is NOT the same as the built-in video system already in the 6360. Both the built-in video system AND a video-in card must be connected for the Apple TV/FM Radio System to work properly.

NOW that you know all that, the question is....where the heck would you get the necessary components? Perhaps by scavenging at your friendly local Apple dealer service department?!?!?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because it is much easier than trying to fit a TV in my tiny room and plus you can record TV shows onto your HD.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Plus think of the wear and tear you'll save by not having to crank your neck around to see what's happening in Iraq.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
LOL! That's true too :) I think I am just going to go for the ATI Xclaim TV USB and hook it up to my iMac running 9.2 Thanks for everyone's help!

·
Premium Member
2,263 Posts
just remember the ATI Tv products only work in 9.2.2 or earlier
and I beleive they use quicktime 4 or 5 and not 6
too bad I just sold mine for $50 bucks
someone on trading post had one, why dont you put up a want ad if you can wait

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by minnes:
just remember the ATI Tv products only work in 9.2.2 or earlier
and I beleive they use quicktime 4 or 5 and not 6
too bad I just sold mine for $50 bucks
someone on trading post had one, why dont you put up a want ad if you can wait
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm posting a wanted ad right now! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have an ATI USB tuner I have been using and it is great I either take the cable feed out of the wall right into it or through the VCR

It also is good for vid cameras as you can plug into it from a mini jack.

The software isn't that bad either.

I think I paid 160 new... works fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts