Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
802.11b AirPort Card $66.00 CDN

512 MB PC-133 SDRAM DIMM - $87.00 CDN

I'm buying my RAM from the above link. Hella good prices if you ask me. That's the cheapest I've seen a 512 MB DIMM go for.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Excellent homework, insight and points, MacDoc.

Lars: You mentioned that you'll be buying from the link you posted. Let us know how it goes. It would be good to find out what the Ram actually ends up costing, delivered.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a) He doesn't have any Aiport cards and he usually only honours that price when it's with a machine
Um, no. The AirPort card was for sale when I linked to it. As for honouring that price only when it comes with a computer - is wrong. The guy told me he sold them separatly at the listed price, which was $66.00 before he sold out.

As with the RAM, as soon as I hear back from them with the final shipping cost, I will go from there and let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
here's a canadian outfit that sells computer parts at very reasonable prices. CanadaComputers i haven't ordered through mail order, so i'm not sure what their shipping prices are. i usually just drive down to one of their outlets when i'm passing through town.

and i fully agree with macdoc about shipping prices from some of the US operations. cheap prices and then you get hammered by shipping and handling. total nonsense. i always try to buy canadian at all times. i like to keep the money i earn in the country i live in. whenever possible of course.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Canada Computers actually has good prices, that's surprising for a Canadian Reseller. Despite taxes and shipping charges, buying from the U.S still usually beats Canadian reseller prices here in Canada I go shopping.

This is off-topic, but saying you don't want to give the U.S anymore money is just plain stupid, IMO. I will buy it where it's cheap, and if that's means within the U.S, then that's fine. I just don't like the large amounts of anti-America on ehMac.

/rant

·
Registered
25 Posts
Stating that i would like to keep my money in Canada is not stupid. Its being practical. What's wrong with trying to preserve the Canadian economy and jobs? I didn't start to slag the U.S. and go on an anti-American rant. Therefore Lars, someday when you're a little more mature, when you're done with your scholastic education, and your life education is at a more advanced level, you just might want to be a little more careful and polite with the grammer you choose. Sure, everyone can fly off the handle a bit and be guilty of slagging someone, but there's really no need to refer to my comment as stupid. Use a little bit of common sense. Personal attacks aren't needed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm all for good deals, but these outfits are down South.
Also, finding the cheapest RAM caused me no end of grief in my Pismo.

Of course, YMMV.

·
Banned
13 Posts
excellent link Lars... I dare anyone to try and sell their overpriced merchandise on this public, read NON dealer site, by clicking on their sellers (First link)button. Anyone looking for a "price check" will get a reality check by doing so!!!

this should be a sticky, with good bargains on price , comes bad news for sellers...

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry - it wasn't meant to be a "personal attack." I just find that just throwing out good deals in the U.S just because you want to keep your money in Canada I just find, well, stupid.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Buying from america can be a pain simply because of Canada customs, it usually take 4-5 days to clear something which may not seem long but if you really need the part it can be an eternity.

After Duty and Taxes buying in the US might not be as attractive as one might think, especially if you need to return the part.

·
Premium Member
30,889 Posts
a) He doesn't have any Aiport cards and he usually only honours that price when it's with a machine

b) here's where he makes his money -
1lb - 20lb $24.99 20lb - 30lb $29.98 30lb - 40lb $39.97 etc and that's GROUND RATES
those are US dollars and he charges a $15 "handling fee " so your "bargain comes in at $123 - about the same as retail here.

how about Air

0 - 20lb $59.99 20lb - 30lb $79.99 30lb - 40lb $99.97
:eek:

There are many outfits in the US that make real good money offering items then padding the handling and shipping rates - and if they know you are Canadian look out. We've seen $40 US minimum rates.
Then there's always the I'm sorry we don't deal with Canadian Credit cards - it goes on and on.

Guys like Larry at OWC or Ken at MemoryX are good to deal with but there are horror stories out there too.
But you need to KNOW whose okay and exactly what you need.
Returning stuff is no fun.
Caveat Emptor if you don't know the players.

RAM always rises this time of year and it's been rising steadily especially SDRAM which is declining in popularity so therefore not subject the competive pressures of DDR.
Double sided 256 sdram for a Blue runs about $80 Cdn these days IF you can find some that works.

There ARE deals out there, not everything is as it appears at first glance. ;)

[ September 25, 2003, 10:25 AM: Message edited by: macdoc ]

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
17,982 Posts
Is it too much of a stretch to assume that I'm one of those "ant-american" content providers here at EhMac?

Just to clarify, I'm anti-U.S. government foreign policy. Americans as a people I have no problem with. Some of them are actually my friends :eek:

The matter of buying American when one could buy Canadian is a very simple equation. It goes further than that, actually, as in "buying local" over buying imported. Anything. A strong local economy should be a priority for any municipal / provincial / federal government, with intra-regional and international trade supplementing, not competing with, local businesses. Forget all that bull about economies of scale and global competitiveness. All it takes is the unilateral application of tariffs (e.g. U.S. fees on Canadian softwood) to screw up importers / exporters and threaten the availability of raw materials to factories.

This is why I am constantly amazed (frustrated, pi**ed off, etc.) at municipal / city councillors who zone land at the edge of city limits for big-box stores like Staples, FutureShop, Wal-Mart, etc., tout how great it is that these "big businesses" are coming and bringing new jobs, and then two years later sit on their thumbs and wonder aloud, "Gee, why did the downtown core die?" It's a simple economic reality that is constantly ignored.

The Council of Canadians did a study a few years back, analyzing the impact of a Wal-Mart opening in any given community. The result? A net loss of jobs, as local, smaller businesses could not compete. Wal-Mart is able to leverage its position in the market by undercutting everyone else (operating at a loss in some cases) until their competition is gone. Wow - "economic development" - ain't it grand?

Community-based businesses, local cooperatives, sustainable industry. These are the hallmarks of a successful and productive economy. Everything else is a recipe for disaster.

Thus ended the sermon. :D

M

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
Regarding "US deals", be aware that many suppliers will only ship UPS and not US Postal. Anything between $20 and $100 Canadian will cost you the shipping, plus about $27. in fees, plus taxes. BY US Postal, you will pay $5. Customs fee plus taxes. Warranty problem?....more expense going back and forth. You can find a computer deal on eBay for US$75., but by the time it lands via UPS, it'll set you back about $195. Canadian. No bargain!
As for cheap RAM, as macdoc pointed out, "you usually get what you pay for". There are some seamingly good seals out there, but beware that sometimes it's just low grade goods. "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is gone."

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
This post doesn't belong in the Trading Post and is being moved to the Anything Mac forum.

Buying from the states to save a few pennies. :mad: That's pov.

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
Community-based businesses, local cooperatives, sustainable industry. These are the hallmarks of a successful and productive economy. Everything else is a recipe for disaster.
Hallelujah, and Amen.

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
I give the locals first chance at my money, every time.

1: Local resellers; yes, I get in the car and go look.

2: If I can't get it here, then MB or AB resellers.

3: If no go there, then somewhere in Canada. I have a short list of people I will call or eMail.

4: US resellers. Very short list. If I haven't bough from them before, I probably won't now. Must ship USPS, unless Air Courrier options are appropriate or cost-effective.

I was in Office Depot this week; 512MB PC-133 Shiva brand RAM is $120. That's US$85; Kensington-equivalent with free USPS shipping, or you're money in the hole. Just an example.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
POV - (Slang) Acting like you a poverty stricken. Or in this case, taking money away from fellow Canadians and sending it to the U.S. to save a couple of bucks.

A very strange thing to advocate on ehMac.ca - Canada's Mac community. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts