Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After work this evening I'm going to get an inexpensive little colour inkjet to tide me over for a little while; I don't need anything fancy right now. I've narrowed my choice down to these two crappy little cheapies:

- Canon i320
- HP DeskJet 3420

Which to get? Hmm?

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually to answer my own question, neither.

I ended up buying a somewhat more expensive Canon i450. Boy, this thing is nice. Way nice. Very fast, very crisp B&W text printing, and colour pics print beautifully on glossy photo paper. Setup was a snap, and it's a surprisingly quiet machine (unlike that Epson C60 on my desk at work, that chugs and whirs and clunks and lurches and clicks and snaps and...).

If you're a-shoppin' for an inexpensive inkjet, check out the Canon i450. Well worth the money IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
How cheap was cheap for your i450?

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On sale @ Staples for $99.99; regularly $149.99. I think Futureshop has the same $50-bucks-off sale going on. Don't know for how long though.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
If you have the cash, buy either the Canon i550 or the Epson c82 (179$ and 149 respectively). There is a little more initial outlay, but they have individual inkwells and that alone will send the recurring costs through the floor compared to the i450, i320 or HP 3420.

--PB

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually I was looking at the i550 (& higher models) as well as the Epson C82 a little while ago. They are very nice indeed, but not what I need right now. As I said, I wanted a cheapie to tide me over for a time.

My view on recurring costs differs:

1 replacement black ink cartridge for the Epson C82 (cartridge # T032120) costs about $50.00. Each of the separate colour ink cartridges cost about $20.00.

1 replacement black ink cartridge for the Canon i450 (cartridge # BCI24) costs about $10.00. A BCI24 tri-colour cartridge is about $25.00.

The majority of my printing is B&W text for light home use. I doubt the Canon cartridges hold only 20% as much ink as the Epsons; I guess Epson's DuraBrite Ink - which I don't think I need, accounts for most of the cost difference. In any case, neither of these manufacturers seems to be gouging cartridge-buying consumers nearly as much as Lexmark :rolleyes: ...

[ August 08, 2003, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: Doug Gardhouse ]

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Well it's too late to make this suggestion, but if anyone else is thinking of a cheap inkjet, I would suggest the All-in-one Epson CX3200. I bought one this summer, it can copy and scan and print. It uses the same carts as the the Epson C62 and it comes with a USB cable! Costco has the even better CX5200 for $187.00. Both are OSX compatible, I find the B/W copy feature convenient.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's never too late - there are always people shopping around and looking for suggestions from others. Discussions like this are always useful!

Interesting that your CX3200 came with a USB cable - I think it's probably rare for a cable to be included, no? I had to buy a USB cable along with my i450 & realized when I got home that i could have picked one up at the computer store at work for about 1/3 the price.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Doug, the c82 black cartridge holds around 36 ml of ink, the BCI24 black cartridge holds around 9 ml of ink.

Or at least that is what the reps tell me.

--PB

[ August 08, 2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: PosterBoy ]

·
Registered
507 Posts
After 10+ generations of Epson inkjets, i gave away my 875DC and got a C82. It's the quietest inkjet i've ever used and the fastest. Utterly Mac and PC compatible. Other than a colour dye-sub printer, the C82 produces the nicest 5x7s this side of pluto.

The C62 is cheap, but noisier. Alas, carts for Epsons are bloody expensive, which is why I use/buy 'chipped' no-name carts for my dad's 777i and my C82. $75 cdn including duties/taxes/shipping gets him 6x blacks, and 6x color carts. Yes, 12 total carts for $75 CDN. Lots of crap ink out there, and i've tried most of them, but the stuff I use is just as good as authentic Epson. It's from an eBay Store, and he carries for every Epson brand. Shipping is very fast and well priced. Let me know if anyone wants the info.

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So 9ml vs. 36ml would be 25%...

Question: Do any Epsons (and maybe cheaper Canons & other makes) have removeable print heads?

When I unpacked & set up my i450 I was interested by the fact that I had to install the print head, then the ink cartridges. Never install a print head in an inkjet before - just the cartridges.

Seems to me this could be useful in the event the print head goes south or gets horribly clogged like the one in my Epson C60 at work a couple of months ago... ugh what a waste of time and ink.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Most of the new Canon printers (i450 and up pretty much) come with the print head separate and you have to install it. Most Epson printers print heads are replaceable, but almost none of them by the end user. Epson has an express exchange warranty though, which is probably the best one going among printer manufacturers right now.

--PB

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you buy an eMac, iMac or iBook right now you get an i450 free with purchase (after mail-in rebate).

Pretty good deal if you ask me.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Hewlett Packard 2280TN business inkjets also have printheads that have to be user installed. Maybe it's a trend? User replacable printheads? I think that's a good feature.
I know older epsons (400 to 900 series) should be used at least once a week to keep the printheads clear. If left for long periods, the ink may dry in the head and then your up s**t creek. My sister's printer ended up trashed because repairs were more expensive than buying a new printer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts