Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm just aboot ready to declare my old ink jet printer dead, so i figure this is a good time to move up the ladder to an economical laser printer. i'm not looking for anything special here; it just has to be a reliable printer, able to print black and white text reasonably clearly from my 12" powerbook. airport compatability would be nice, but not needed. i don't need it to be fast, have a large paper capacity, have a high memory, or anything like that. it won't be receiving more than one print order at a time.

my budget is very limited, so i'm thinking in the $200 american range. i know this is the bottom of the laser printer barrel, but like i said, my needs are entirely document based.

does anyone have any suggestions?
are there simply no laser printers in this price range that are solid investments?

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
I've been using a Samsung 1210 for quite some time now and I've been quite pleased with it. The printer runs flawlessly on OS X and configures effortlessly on an Airport-enabled network. I've seen them advertised for as little as $180...at that price it's a no-brainer bargain.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
I have to suggest Lexmark Printers. They are reasonably priced, work well and Lexmark's Customer service cannot be beat.

The Lexmark I am currently using started printing Black pages and after a call to their tech Support, they determined it was a power supply issue. Lexmark sent me a brand new printer the next day to replace the defective one!! :eek: You can't beat that for servce.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I have found HP printers to be extremely reliable over the last 20 (!) years or so. Unfortunately the entry level model 1000 is Windoze only (via USB), so you would have to push your budget from $199 to $399... The 1300 looks sturdy and, as with all mechanical devices, you're better off running below the duty cycle. It gives you 1200x1200 dpi etc. Check details here. I'm sure that CNet or other sites will give you the best prices, etc. At the end of the day, think cost/page, not just purchase price.

·
ehMac KungFu Master
5,768 Posts
These days if you are running Mac OS X there is virtually no limit to what kinds of printers you can use!

Have a look around at lasers @ various stores, get something that fits your budget and has at least USB on it. Forget paralell printers (not many having this only these days).

If Mac OS X does not have the driver you need built-in (Epson, Canon, Lexmark, HP, Xerox) then you will need some other drivers.

Go and download the Gimp-print drivers (they will be included in Panther!) from http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/MacOSX.php3 and while you are there download the ESP Ghostscript program as well. This will give you a built-in Postscript RIP for the gimp-print drivers so you can print postscript on just about any non-PS printer!

Follow the instructions to setting up the driver (its quite easy actually) and you're off to the races. The days of having to buy a Mac-only printer and spending a fortune on a laser because of postscript are no longer if you don't need to.

Gotta love CUPS in Mac OS X huh?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts