Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to do some drawings on a daily basis now, nothing too complicated, but I have to show dimentions of various 2 D objects.

I don't need a full blown CAD, but do need something easier to use and more powerful than word.

any ideas?

TIA

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
I don't know anything about CAD, but have you tried searching VersionTracker or MacUpdate? I checked VersionTracker, and there were 3 shareware and 1 freeware CAD programs. Might be what you need.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Well the answer greatly depends if you have student status or not.

Most companies sell CAD to students for between $100-$200.

Archicad and Vectorworks are your best bet for the Mac price wise. Also they are WYSIWYG and pretty easy to pick up.

Other than that I guess you could pick up these "design your own home" software packages from the stores. But I don't know anything about them.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
There is one program that was on Versiontracker,
But it seems to have disappeared at the moment.

It's called Xenon 6.2

Try here:

Xenon 6.2 link

Versiontracker link

Ooops!...That's a little expensive.

At least the Demo from the Apple site looks nice.
Sorry...That's not a cheap software...Nice though.

Dave :cool:

[ November 24, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: dolawren ]

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Yeah, CADintosh by Thorsen Lemke, the creator of Graphic Converter, good, fully functioning shareware. This'll probably do it for you.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
POWERCADD!??!?!?? He want's a CHEAP solution! Their STUDENT version is like $1200!!!

And the trail version doesn't allow you to save so don't try and pull that one out.

Geez. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
If T Lempke wrote it, it's probably a first-class application.

Check out CADintosh first, before you decide to spend money elsewhere.

For anyone who's tried to access Lembke's site to d/l the software, and had timeouts:

There was a problem with the North American-Europe transatlantic link yesterday (Tuesday). The link is designed to be redundant (2 full-bandwidth channels); unfortunately the company that owns it didn't fix a prior breakdown, so now both sides are down, which means no redundancy and no link.

Accessing sites in Europe will be unreliable for a little while, I guess.

[ November 26, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts