Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was chatting with an Apple software engineer last night. This person will be returning to Canada to visit family over Christmas...

I casually asked him/her if I should purchase a new G4 now, or wait until after MWSF. S/He replied "ummm, I don't know what they are doing on the hardware side, but unless you really need a new G4 for work, I would wait a month"

Since s/he is working on the OS "beyond Jaguar" I asked her/his opinion on how to best protect my new iBook. S/He suggested that to date there have been NO OS X virii and that Virex etc are a waste of money at this time. S/He strongly suggested Diskwarrier, saying that when you boot into 9, it will repair any/all damage and further commented that Norton was a piece of (insert naughty word). DragThing was one of the utilities recommended, and I have to agree.

I asked about defrag/optimization, and was told that it is not as big a thing as the utility software vendors make it to be. There is minimal effect in defragging.

Just thought to pass the comments along.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Britnell:

S/He suggested that to date there have been NO OS X virii and that Virex etc are a waste of money at this time.
<HR></blockquote>

Unless you use MS Office a lot. Virex catches macro virii, so that's a good reason to use it.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Nice to see Apple is an equal opportunity employer. I wonder, how many hermaphrodites does Apple employ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They may simply be transgendered. ;) And there are many people who are transgendered.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.