Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Macbook and I am selling my iMac (bittersweet :( ) I have googled ways of changing the ownership of the computer, and there seem to be many different methods from which to choose. Can anyone recommend one in particular?

I am guessing there is already a thread about this issue on ehmac, but I couldn't find it. If someone wants to send a link or suggest some method, I would be very grateful. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
What do you mean by change ownership?

For the physical computer, I'd suggest taking all your data and doing an erase and install with the system discs (perhaps a secure erase, depending on your comfort level). Giving the system to someone else with a clean slate is much nicer than old user data ;).

If you're referring to the AppleCare (if any), you don't really need to do anything. The AppleCare follows the machine, not the owner. That said, it may reduce paperwork in the future if you call Apple and notify them of the change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to those who responded. I realize I was vague, but I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I was selling the comp to a friend and wanted to change the user and short name while retaining some software. Anyway, I figured it out with our good friend google. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.