Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so my MacBook arrived this morning. I booted it up and everything seemed fine, now I want to throw in my WD Scorpio.

Physically, it looks easy. I'll follow the MacWolrd youtube video.....Battery out, 3 screws and 'L' bracket, then slide out old drive using white tab. Finally replace new drive in enclosure, slide back in, and batter on top.

Now, the question is....since I haven't put anything on the old drive, should I just format and fresh install OS X on the new drives? Does iLife come on the OS X disc because I didn't get any other discs than OS X part 1 and part 2? How do I format the new drive without an operating system installed? When I finally figure out how to format it, what format-type should I format it with? (Hope that makes sense) After physically swapping the drives, should I just press the Power button and then put in the OS X CD and go from there? Do I format first?

I hope someone can write some step-by-step instructions to get my back to a usable desktop (with some extra HD room!)

Thanks, this is MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
You will need to format first.

Do this by putting in your OSX cd and holding down the "C" key when turning on the book to boot from the cd.

There is a disk utility on the disk that you can use to format the new hard disk.

After you format the disk then just go ahead and run the OSX install.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts