Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told that it isn't fun to do. Just been looking around and found a little deal on a Ti. But the HD is smaller that Gary Coleman. Has anyone attempted this, or has testimonial to share? Thanks.

·
Registered
236 Posts
XLR8yourmac.com has a page describing the procedure. I also included the URL for Apple's manual (pdf) describing the procedure. I upgraded my TiPBook HD with a larger, faster drive without problems. Not fun ? actually, kinda fun ? but not that hard. I had to open the case to add the Airport card before. Get the proper sized Philips screwdriver so you don't damage the screws and clear enough desktop space to place your PB on.
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/powerbook_g4/PB_G4_HD_upgrade/pb_g4_hd_upgrade.html
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50120

Bill

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi, I did this procedure, swapping a 10 gig for a 40gig. It takes about 20 minutes. You need a smallish phillips and a tiny torx driver, #8 if i am not mistaken but check with the links above.
BP

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ditto above. For a variety of techical reasons I won't bore you with, I've swapped HDs in and out of a Ti 400 and 550 15-20 times and it is quite straightforward if you follw the links.

The only tricky bits are the little rubber washers/dampers that sit on the sides of the drives that you run the screws into. It's touch to get these sitting stably in the drive while you maneuver the flexible plastic tongue back up against the HD. You'll see what I mean when you're there. Usually they are tacky enough to stick long enough to wiggle the drive in but I've hearc of people using small amounts of rubber cement to hold them in place. IMO, that's not such a good idea since you may need to get back in later on.

Note: keep track of which screws come from which hole as sometimes they can also be fussy about going back in (Ibelieve that Apple even suggests proper "order" for them to be removed/replaced). You have to have a firm hand with the screws to keep them from stripping as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.