Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have easy (read: quick) access to my documents/music/apps folders. I guess making an alias to them is the easiest way. I am new to mac so I'm used to "create a shortcut" in windows which I assume is the same as an alias in OS X (correct?). Is there a way to make the alias icons look like the one for the documents, apps, music icons as I see in my sidebar? I am using CandyBar, but even without the cusotm icons I still just see the plain "folder" icon. How can i change the icon so it isnt a boring folder?

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
On the original document Hit Command i ( Apple i ) and click on the little square at the top left.

That's where the icon info is stored. You can copy most any image into that square - it will resize..

BTW don't forget the Sidebar as well as the Dock for quick access - you can also delete those in the sidebar you do not need.

If there is an icon already there you like - you can copy it as well. Cut Copy Paste all works in that square.

It's fun and there are loads of icons out there. Even you own photos if you wish. You can do this on your drive icons as well.

InterfaceLIFT: Mac OS X icons (by date)

Whatever turns your crank ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've created directories on an external drive.
I have these directories in the root of Finder.
I can't seem to change their icons.
I'm a noob.
I tried dragging a picture or another file folder to the Preview panel, but it didn't change the icon.
Is there more to it?

Mike

·
Premium Member
31,013 Posts
You mean folders?

You need to copy and paste - I do not believe drag and drop will work into the icon window.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've created directories on an external drive.
I have these directories in the root of Finder.
I can't seem to change their icons.
I'm a noob.
I tried dragging a picture or another file folder to the Preview panel, but it didn't change the icon.
Is there more to it?

Mike
You want to paste the new icon on top of the old one in the upper left corner of Get Info, not the Preview panel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not sure if I am doing this right. I want the icon I have for my "documents" folder in the sidebar to be the icon of the alias to the documents folder on my desktop. I am not having any luck changing them. Right now the aliases have the regular "folder" icon. I want to assign each a different icon but Im not sure how.... I cannot copy the documents icon from the get info box and paste it onto the icon in the get info box of the alias, which is what you people are trying to explain correct?

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Correct, that should work.

Also, why is your documents folder on your desktop? If that's just an alias, great, otherwise leave it in your home folder and in the sidebar; it's just easier that way.

Also, you can drag *anything* into the sidebar and have it work as an alias from there, folders, documents, files, anything. What you don't want to do is drag anything out of there that was there when you started, like the home folder (with you username on it), and the basics like Documents, Movies, etc.

So if you have an alias on your desktop, try to change its icon as above (copy a picture, get info, click on the picture, paste), and then drag it to the sidebar.

Same thing for the dock by the way. Drag stuff there and it works like an alias.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, it worked. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts