Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share this, for interest of fellow ehMac-ians. Looks like Apple has made some interesting changes to their Discussion Base--key among them, a new voting and points system to reward good posts and encourage everyone to contribute. They seem to be working out some bugs with the points, but it's an interesting concept. Here's a cut-n-paste of the summary of how the new voting system works:

Voting (the +/- system)
Apple Discussions uses a "reputation system" to help determine the best content and helpful users in the forums. This help topic covers the details of the system.
Note: "Post" in this definition refers to either a topic or a message.

General information:
Reputation is based on points.
Every post (with a few exceptions) has a + or - next to it allowing you to vote on that post. Each user is granted a certain number of votes per day based on their level.
Every user has a reputation level which is determined by the number of points they have gained, their post volume and the amount of time they have been using Apple Discussions.

If a post has helped you with an issue vote "+". If it offers no useful assistance vote "-". Look for posts that have an almost full blue bar next to them.

·
Lifetime membership
9,265 Posts
I guess all my contributions don't count,
All the comments and links that I posted there on white spots...
Were deleted.

Dave
:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
dolawren - My guess is that your posts were deleted because Apple wasn't acknowledging the problems and most likely used:
"2. Permitted posting. You may not post to the Site Public Submissions that (1) consist of criticisms or comments directed to another person's race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or comparable characteristic, (2) are attributed to any person other than you, or (3) violates or infringes the copyright or other proprietary interest of any other person." (Specifically the (2) part) to remove your posts legally.

You've said here on ehMac that the posts that were deleted were often just saying more of the same about the white spots on the 15" Powerbooks. I could be wrong.

That said, I don't agree with the rating method, it tends to get abused easily and doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I like about the new system is that it limits the number of votes you get per day, thereby curtailing the tendency of some to just slap any old post with a "helpful" sticker. When it works, it works really well...have a look at topics where the threads are 100s of posts long (i.e., how to share a printer in a Mac/Win network). Zeroing in on posts that a frequently noted as "helpful" is....err...well...helpful!

By rewarding people with levels, it helps to ensure that people participate. The flipside, of course, is that is helps to deter people from posting useless threads. Granted, no system is perfect, but I'll be interested to see how (or whether) Apple's experiment works out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts