Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14" ibook 1.3 ghz hardrive died so being the mad and broke student I printed of the DIY intructions and changed the hardrive. Before I touched the computer it would boot form the install disk but not the original internal drive. Now after changing the drive the computer hands on the install disk at the grey Apple loading stage. If I don't use the disk I get the flahing folder telling me know system software. My thinking is the harddisk is installed properly but I missed something else. The DVD drive does start up but then fals silent.

Any ideas what I might have missed? I am thinking of taking it apart again.

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
maybe a little help

maybe you need to format it??
do you have a friend with a mac and a firewire cable?(6 pin one-I think)
bring the ibook over to a friend's house, hook up the fireware cable and use
Target mode. also, maybe the drive is set to "slave" rather than "master"

hope this helps a little

JB

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
There is either a problem with your internals or a problem with your OS X disc.

Open your machine back up. Make sure all cables are fitted firmly. Make sure the RAM is reseated properly. Close everything up, and try again.

Check you OS X disc for fingerprints and smudges.

If all else fails, it's a trip to an authorized service provider.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe you need to format it??
do you have a friend with a mac and a firewire cable?(6 pin one-I think)
bring the ibook over to a friend's house, hook up the fireware cable and use
Target mode. also, maybe the drive is set to "slave" rather than "master"

hope this helps a little

JB
Jb you were right. The solution also came to me sitting in class today. I conncted the mac in Firewire Target mode to another mac and the hard-drive came up as unreadable. As soon as I formatted it for mac I was able to install the OS. I think the drive must have come preformatted with a windows driver. So apart from a few scratches on my case and a couple of extra screws left over I now have an ibook with a faster and bigger drive.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
Jb you were right. The solution also came to me sitting in class today. I conncted the mac in Firewire Target mode to another mac and the hard-drive came up as unreadable. As soon as I formatted it for mac I was able to install the OS. I think the drive must have come preformatted with a windows driver. So apart from a few scratches on my case and a couple of extra screws left over I now have an ibook with a faster and bigger drive.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Internal drives usually ship with no formatting at all. If the drive wasn't readable on your other Mac, then it wouldn't be Windows - OS X can read them all.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Internal drives usually ship with no formatting at all. If the drive wasn't readable on your other Mac, then it wouldn't be Windows - OS X can read them all.
So I assume normally one would boot off the OS X disk and format the hard drive that way??????

Shouldn't that have worked in this case rather than go the target disk route?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
So I assume normally one would boot off the OS X disk and format the hard drive that way??????

Shouldn't that have worked in this case rather than go the target disk route?
Yes, booting off of the OS X disc should have worked. The drive's formatting would have no bearing on whether or not the disc would boot the machine.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Yes, booting off of the OS X disc should have worked. The drive's formatting would have no bearing on whether or not the disc would boot the machine.
John is correct in this matter.

All new drives must be formatted before they can used or accessed, and no, it plays no role in whether or not your unit can boot from a disc. However, a botched hardware install might affect that category.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the retail version of the OSX disk and it just kept getting frozen with the new disc, while when I had the bad drive in it would boot from the OS X disc. I also thought I must have got someting wrong on the hardwear, but after I formated the disc via target mode the problem dissapeared. I have since restarted the computer several times and upgraded to 10.4.9 with no problems.

Why did this work? Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts