Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought it would be neat to have a thread dedicated to posting links / info on CES 2012 product announcements that are related to us Mac users. Post away! Sounds like there is going to be lots of Thunderbolt announcements.

I read this morning that Elgato has announced the Elgato Thunderbolt SSD coming out in February.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Belkin has released the new Thunderbolt Express Dock

Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock - $299 (US)

• Quickly connects into a desktop workstation and instantly accesses multiple devices with a single cable
  • Adds reliable, gigabit Ethernet connectivity to your laptop
  • Includes three USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire 800 port, one HDMI port, one 3.5mm Audio port, one gigabit Ethernet port and two Thunderbolt ports (one upstream and one downstream) for daisy-chaining to another Thunderbolt compatible device.
  • Utilizes Thunderbolt Technology for data transfer rates of up to 10Gbps bi-directionally
  • Availability

The Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock will be available in September 2012 at select retailers worldwide and on Belkin.com.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts

• Quickly connects into a desktop workstation and instantly accesses multiple devices with a single cable
  • Includes three USB 2.0 ports, one Firewire 800 port, one HDMI port, one 3.5mm Audio port, one gigabit Ethernet port and two Thunderbolt ports (one upstream and one downstream) for daisy-chaining to another Thunderbolt compatible device.
  • Utilizes Thunderbolt Technology for data transfer rates of up to 10Gbps bi-directionally
  • Availability

The Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock will be available in September 2012 at select retailers worldwide and on Belkin.com.
That looks pretty sweet. When I upgrade to the next MacBook Pro with the new releases in the spring I will definitely be picking up one of these when they are released in Sept.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Not strictly Apple related, but you can't help but tie the two together.

Vizio enters the PC market: The New Vizio PCs and Notebooks Are Worthy of Apple

The first company, in my opinion, that has a chance at dethroning Apple as the leader in beautiful design. In fact, their All-in-one PC is even NICER than Apple's. They even come with a stripped down version of Windows, completely free of bloatware. I hate to admit it, but when Windows 8 hits, these will be high on my list of computers to watch.

A7

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts

• Availability

Why not USB 3.0?? That is odd to leave it out.

·
Klingon Warrior
1,494 Posts
I might pick up the Belkin dock... It would be a step up over my current USB only dock by them!

Those Visio computers look slick! Maybe they will spur some design competition with Apple? Aside from screen size and turning to aluminum; the current iMacs have t changed much since the G5's!!

·
Premium Member
10,314 Posts
Not strictly Apple related, but you can't help but tie the two together.

Vizio enters the PC market: The New Vizio PCs and Notebooks Are Worthy of Apple

The first company, in my opinion, that has a chance at dethroning Apple as the leader in beautiful design. In fact, their All-in-one PC is even NICER than Apple's. They even come with a stripped down version of Windows, completely free of bloatware. I hate to admit it, but when Windows 8 hits, these will be high on my list of computers to watch.

A7
Ah see, there you have it. You made a persuasive case until you mentioned Windows. Windows=antivirus which takes a big hit on performance right there.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The "Twenty" looks interesting. Of course, it depends on the price. I didn't see any mention of MSRP? You can get a signal-sensing 100 watt amp for around $100 that would achieve the same result. The other thing I'd like to know is how much power it sucks when it is 'off'. Again, couldn't see that in the specs.

Craig

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Ah see, there you have it. You made a persuasive case until you mentioned Windows. Windows=antivirus which takes a big hit on performance right there.
Well I did say "when Windows 8 hits". ;) I am predicting Windows 8 to be pretty much an end to viruses on Windows (thanks to new development layers built on HTML5 and other new technologies). Wait and see... things are changing in the tech world. Have a little faith and you might be surprised at where this is all headed.

A7

·
Seriously?
4,442 Posts
Well I did say "when Windows 8 hits". ;) I am predicting Windows 8 to be pretty much an end to viruses on Windows (thanks to new development layers built on HTML5 and other new technologies). Wait and see... things are changing in the tech world. Have a little faith and you might be surprised at where this is all headed.

A7
Nothing is impossible. If it can happen it will happen.

Which ever way you want to look at it.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone else find any Mac related announcements at CES? Please post them here with links! :) I've got a little prize for ehMacian who has the best posts. ;)

·
Premium Member
20,722 Posts

• Availability

WTF no eSATA and for $299 adds next to nothing that you can't get for much cheaper, next to useless. Product FAIL IMO.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts