Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant to ask what carrier you folks are using as well and whether you are satisfied with the overall experience. I am trying to find a good Mac compatible phone/cellular carrier.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm using a Sony-Ericsson T68i with my Mac, and works well with iSynch. If you end up with this phone, I also recommend you download the Sony Ericsson Clicker and the Ericsson Client from Jonas Salling (I believe there's a link to it from the Apple website's downloads page.) With the Clicker, you can control a number of applications (like iTunes and KeyNote) using your phone as a remote control through Bluetooth. You can even use the T68i's little joy-stick as a controller for the mouse pointer, although this has more novelty value than actual practical use. However, I do use the phone as a remote control for iTunes constantly using this software (even though it gobbles up the phone's battery.) With the Ericsson Client, you can download anything you want to your phone by just dragging and dropping, which I find pretty handy. Both pieces of software are shareware (and OS X only), but I think they are worth the money. The developer, Jonas Salling, is also quite friendly and helpful. I had touble with the installiation of the Clicker, so I sent him an email asking for some help, and he responded within 30 minutes, which was great and unexpected.

My wife just got a Nokia 3650, which has an awesome screen, and a built-in camera with great resolution. The screen and camera are about ten times better than the screen on my T68i and the Sony-Ericsson Communicam that came with my phone. Haven't really tried synching the 3650 with the Mac yet, but uploading the photos we've taken works really well.

·
Tritium Glow
7,136 Posts
AFAIK, none of the major carriers in Canada support a web connection between their network and your laptop over bluetooth...maybe only Telus, but I haven't confirmed this.

Bell uses a diferent network protocol as well (CDMA) and I think one needs GPRS which is used by the others.

I went through this with Rogers ATT&T...three of their resellers told me it was possible to use bluetooth to surf the web on my 12" powerbook...WRONG!

I bought a Sony-Ericssen T68i phone and signed up for the always on GPRS data service at $50 a month extra. When I got everything setup I called Rogers for their network settings so I could connect. The conversation that followed was hillarious. None knew what I was talking about and I kept getting transfered to different levels of support until finaly I got someone with enough knowledge who told me that this is not possible and that there are no plans to offer this service. You can only use use the phone and the phone's browser to access the web. You can, however, use the phone as a wireless modem and dial up to another service provider and surf. That could get expensive. So I cancelled the $50 data option and now I have a feature rich and expensive phone which I can't fully utilise.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think basically all I really need is a phone that I can easily sync with my Mac. I want to be able to carry my calendar and address book with me. I don't see myself playing games on my phone although I might like the option of receiving text messages if it is not going to cost me any extra.

So in short, I want a decent phone that can do what I need, without overkill.

B

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think these days you'll be hard pressed to find a bluetooth-enabled phone out there that doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

My T68i syncs its phone book and organiser with iCal and AddressBook (and .Mac), through iSync without a problem, and pretty damn quick. If you can find it at a reasonable price, I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hmm this thread is interesting.

On one hand Canada beats out the USA in having GPRS/GSM across the country, and on the other the USA beats Canada with their services from the Cell phone companies.

These days it is hard to just buy a simple cell phone without receiving a ton of games, 60+ ring tones, web surfing etc... some of the things you won't even use.

Anyone have the Motorola T720? How does it work with iSync? Slow? I also wonder if the USB kit works with the Mac?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In order to sync with my Mac, do I have to use Bluetooth? Are there some that connect via USB for instance? I understand that is an option with some phones on the Windows side.

In the end, it is not overly important how I sync my data to my phone. Wireless is obviously very attractive, I just want to keep an open mind. If I need to get an expensive phone loaded with stuff I don't need, then I'll have a decision to make. If I can get what I need without necessarily having to go top-end that would be preferable.

I do appreciate all of the feedback you folks are offering.

Best,
B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.