Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I was on it yesterday... very weak. I was actually looking for my artists - juno nominated - and nothing.
I then went looking for another artists, Ivana Santilli - and nothing there either... wow. Anyhow, it was slow and I thought that layout was boring, unpleasing to the eye - for something that should be so big. Saw teh report on Much and I'm hearing people like Steve Waxman and Denise Donlon support it. Apple - where art thou?? I don't know if my distributor is big on them, but we'll see (EMI). What a soft launch. I emailed them already to express my feelings..
Now, lack of Mac support?? I was actually surprised that I got thru on Safari.... Might go and read the report, but I'm so unimpressed so far. They have some shock print ads. We'll see if they work. For the record - I don't like the name.

Boo...

H!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Seems like somebody isn't as ready for business as they thought...

This is the screen I saw when visiting Puretracks.com.

I had high hopes for Puretracks: $0.99 CND/song while Apple will most certainly screw us (predicting 1.39 to 1.59 CND if/when iTMS for Canada comes out, I so want to be wrong). But now hearing that all songs are WMA I have to ask WTF?! Why are all these music services using WMA when somewhere around 50% of the protable digital music players in use are iPods, which don't play the lame Microsoft proprietory WMA format? Cripes, why do all these also rans have to go out of their way to screw up copying what Apple has done with iTMS?!

[update] Once I was able to get though to Puretracks.com I saw that their pricing is from $0.99 CND. As in many songs cost more than 0.99, ala BuyMusic.com. La-ame.

[ October 15, 2003, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: sinjin ]

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
It's not up to Apple, the CIRA (or at least somebody with some distribution rights, CIRA members would have the most of 'em) owns the rights. I know Apple has been trying to get a deal.

Just because Apple made a deal with the RIAA in the US doesn't mean squat in Canada; the RIAA members cannot legally sell a song to a Canadian resident (they would be infringing on the copyright, which they don't own).

Obviously PureTracks was able to secure those rights over Apple; I'm betting PureTracks is owned or controlled by one or more CIRA members.

Anyway, they're down now (3:26PM Toronto time); it doesn't look like they went for the "best and the brightest" when they formed the IT department and arranged the infastructure, if you get my drift.

Windows only. Yeah, like Windows users ever pay for software. They're doomed.

·
Premium Member
10,272 Posts
Re: WM format... its all but confirmed that WM format will be supported in the new version of iTunes being announced tomorrow. You know, I'm crossing my fingers that the Canadian version will be ready tomorrow. If PureTracks has gotten a licencing deal in Canada, I'd think iTunes wouldn't be far behind.

The PureTracks site isn't good though. Basically another rip-off in the format but on the web with poor design. The built in browsing in iTunes is soo much faster.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Puretracks is down, it appears they underestimated the demand for online music downloads in Canada.

Toronto Star story

[ October 16, 2003, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: RubberGorilla ]

·
Registered
523 Posts
According to some posts over at Slashdot.org (I know, take it with a salt shaker) puretracks' "overwhelming" demand may be little more than 1. failure of poorly configured Microsoft servers (? not sure what this means ?), regardless of demand and 2. the infamous "Slashdot effect" - rather than ravenous Canadians downloading in a frenzy. Who knows?

Frankly, I am really interested in seeing their sales numbers once they iron out the kinks. I fear they are following the BuyMusic.com business model too closely with WMA, inconsistent pricing and inconsistent user restrictions. Notably, BuyMusic.com is still pretty tight lipped about their sales figures, or lack thereof, only a brief mention after the first week that they did not match iTMS 1 million sales. Not good for a company that supposedly had 90+% of the market share locked up.

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
Just checked it out... what a sad, sad effort. Did a couple of searches for my favourite artists, no luck.

So I decided to search for artists who would probably be popular...

"Avril Lavigne" - nope.
"Nelly Furtado" - nope.
"Sarah Maclachlan" - nope.

So much for it being a "Canadian" music store... :rolleyes:

M

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
check out the email response that I got from them. Pretty lame and cut n paste, very auto responce in it's nature. Anyhow, I actually resent them the same email w/ a Mac support comment and no response there... :rolleyes:

H!

Thank you for contacting Puretracks.com Help Desk.

Thank you for your comments and suggestion. We are constantly expanding the
available library, which currently holds 250,000 tracks. In the meantime we
will certainly pass this along to the appropriate person(s) for
consideration.

Puretracks.com Help Desk

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 10:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: What a shame....

Don't even have any BrassMunk (Indie Urban act of the year, and Juno
nominated). Quite possibly may take the Rap Juno next year... Proud
Canadians too. No listing for Ivana Santilli either?? tisk tisk... Prominent indie bands in the city let alone the country. Get more servers.

H!

·
Premium Member
18,006 Posts
I don't suppose Apple would have left open a big ol' hole in the purchasing system via the Gift Certificates?

What happens if you buy a gift certificate for yourself? Is the certificate still caught up in that "U.S. billing address" conundrum?

M

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.