Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We burn maybe a couple hundred disks a year, all via the desktop from our dedicated Images hard drive (all JPG's) on our Dual 1.42 G4, X.3.9.

As I understand the process, when the images are dropped onto the disk icon, they get copied as a disk image, then actually get burned when instructed to do so from the contextual menu.

We're looking for a more streamlined approach on our Mac Pro, X.4.9. I understand that there is software available which doesn't take the added time to create a disk image, but goes directly to the burn (Toast, etc.).

In addition, we'd like to use both burners at the same time.

Suggestions as to brands, pros/cons of said software?

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
CD/DVD burning software

my 2 cents
I've used Disk Burner by Centromedia. It's donationware and it works fine. Put in the disk, choose the stuff to burn and away it goes. You may want to look at Disco, perhaps

just my opinion

JB

centromedia is at centromedia.com

·
Registered
220 Posts
In addition, we'd like to use both burners at the same time.
I've never seen a Mac program that allows for two logical instances to be running at once, so you'd have to find burning software that allows for multiple virtual instances that can burn simultaneously (e.g., one window per burner with its own controls).

That said, I do know that under 10.4.x I can burn to both my internal and FW DVD burners simultaneously.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Toast allows you to use multiple burners - simply duplicate the application, and launch both to access both burners. I think up to 8 have been tested simultaneously.

·
Registered
560 Posts
That's one of the things that always bugged me about CD-R media... it just can't write to a disk whenever you want (like a hard or floppy disk.)

If you really want that drag-and-drop ease, maybe you could get a nice flash card and reader. 1GB cards are only $10-20 these days, and when it gets close to full, you can dump the contents to a CD-R.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Toast allows you to use multiple burners - simply duplicate the application, and launch both to access both burners.
I've heard that.

So, no other recommendations for software besides Toast?

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you really want that drag-and-drop ease, maybe you could get a nice flash card and reader. 1GB cards are only $10-20 these days, and when it gets close to full, you can dump the contents to a CD-R.
We're just trying to streamline the workflow, post-event. We use Extreme III CF cards and a Firewire reader now.

As far as cheap CF cards are concerned, we shot 55 GB of images last weekend (over 19,000 JPG's). We'd have spent the whole weekend burning disks, rather than editing, printing and selling images. In addition, cheap cards are nowhere near fast enough or dependable enough for a professional operation.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Your only real options for professional operations (trouble free, consistent results) are:
1- Toast
2- Disco
Toast is certainly the number one choice, but Disco is a good choice if you do not need all the extra options that Toast has, and it is quite a bit less expensive. You can download Disco to try it out and if you like it the shareware fee is something like $20. It is what I use for most of my day to day burning needs.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
That's one of the things that always bugged me about CD-R media... it just can't write to a disk whenever you want (like a hard or floppy disk.)

Generally, when you're writing to optical media it's to backup or archive stuff. If I'm writing stuff to optical media, I've generally already got it grouped on my Hard Drive. Why copy it to flash drive. Ie. I guess you could say I'm using part of my hard drive as your flash drive idea.

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
741 Posts
To the users of Dragon Burn: can you burn different content to different drives with Dragon Burn (i.e. create different CD at once), or the same content is copied to multiple drives (i.e. duplication of the same CD)?

·
Premium Member
23,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update:

Multiple burns, mixed media (CD and/or DVD), different data, at the same time, all in the background in registered Dragon Burn in a Mac Pro w/ 2 internal burners on 10.4.8. Nice.

Have also guestimated enough data to require a DVD, then actually had less than a full CD worth. Put a CD in the other drive, change the drive option in Dragon Burn, hit the Burn button & away you go. Re-dragging & dropping the data not required. Could probably just open the drawer, change the disk and close on a single burner machine. Again, nice.

We've about 50 CD's/DVD's to burn from our last event, at ~$40 US, the software will pay for itself this round.

Haven't tried the same data to both drives yet (essentially, disk duplication). Have some archiving to do in the not so distant future, whereby we burn duplicate copies of the same data. Will provide another update then.

Thanks to all for your input.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts