Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope it's not a repost.

There's a new CD burning freeware for OS X 10.2.3 or later called BurnX Free. It's not Toast, but it seems to be a good replacement for OS X native burning capabilities-for those who don't like it.

Here's what you can read on the homepage ot the app :

QUOTE] BurnX Free makes it very easy tu burn CD's with multiple sessions in an hybrid format for compatibility with other platforms.

Available only for Mac OS X, this application lets you burn a CD by dragging and droping files or folders to the main window, you can use sessions so multiple burns can be done in the same disc. It also has the ability to erase a CD-RW. [/QUOTE]

It's available a this URL : http://www.hernansoft.com/products.html

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll download it this evening.

Regards.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I downloaded BurnXFree, but what I got was not a disk image or an archive, but a text file (with the suffix .dmg

I expect there is a way to convert the text file into an application, but I have no idea how. Could you please enlighten me? (Please excuse my ignorance)

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
A DMG is an OS X disk image. It can be opened with Disk Copy (Disk Utility in Panther.)

Once it opens you can copy the application from the disk image to your hard drive.

·
Premium Member
1,380 Posts
WR
I had the same problem as you using Explorer ... text in an Explorer window. If you use Safari, everything is kosher.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
If your browser window fills with text, option click the link to download the software. It will then download to your hard drive as it is supposed to.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chealion: I guess I did not make myself clear. What was downloaded was not a dmg file; it was a text file with the suffix .dmg. It could not be opened by doubleclicking on it, as a true .dmg file ordinarily would; nor would it open from Disk Utility. However, I did solve the problem. (See my reply to Bolor, immediately below). But thanks for your reply.

Bolor: I tried downloading with Safari and it worked perfectly. Netscape was no better than IE. Thank you for your message.

WR

·
Registered
172 Posts
Chealion:

Thank you for the information that by option clicking on the download button Explorer will download properly what otherwise would be a text window instead.

I tried it and it worked exactly as you said.

WR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts