Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The awesome Mac OS Catalina fonts you didn’t know you had access top

Apple has recently licensed fonts from type foundries such as Commercial Type, Klim Type Foundry and Mark Simonson Studio to be used as system fonts on Mac OS Catalina. But since these fonts are an optional download, many users of Mac OS X are not even aware they have access to them for free.

To see and install these optional fonts, open the FontBook application and switch to “All Fonts”. Browse the font list and you will see lots of font families that are greyed out—either because they were deactivated or they weren’t downloaded yet. If you right-click on a font or font family that wasn’t downloaded yet, you see an option to download the individual font or entire family.

In addition to those Latin fonts, many non-latin fonts are available as well. For a complete list check out this support document.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
I made the move to Catalina some months ago but found it destroyed any ability to do what I need to do on my MBP. The loss of all 32-bit programs absolutely destroyed my way of computing. I reverted to Mojave and that will be my final ever OS upgrade unless by some miracle Apple offers one that will once again support 32-bit.

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Interesting.

It looks like a similar number of fonts were available with macOS Mojave as well, and maybe even some earlier versions of Mac OS:
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208968

PS: Even some applications come with their own fonts that can be used with other applications if moved and enabled correctly.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
15,691 Posts
Can you run 32-bit apps under emulation perhaps? Which ones are we talking about?

Why even bother, even if such an emulation was available, which I doubt Apple would even allow, considering almost everything else is wrong with the latest Mac OS version for so many users???

The lack of 32-bit support is only part of its problem.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I am in no rush to upgrade to Catalina for this very reason. I have a few apps that are 32 bit. I wish the developers would upgrade their software but not holding my breath on the little guy. I wonder if it would be possible to have some sort of emulator that could let you run 32bit apps without needing to install a virtual machine with a 32bit OS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts