Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Case Design G5 or G4 which do you prefer

Case Design G5 or G4 which do you prefer

4K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  zigzagry 
#1 ·
I was just wondering how many people like the case design of the Mac G5 as compared to the case design of the G4.

With much talk about the Detroit Car Show and car design. It got me to thinking How would you describe the case design of the G5 as compared to the G4.

I think the case design of the G4 is like that of a carbon fiber hand crafted sports car as compared to the G5 that looks to me like a plain jane front seat only pick-up truck.

What do you think: Case design is the criteria only.

#2 ·
Apple was wise to leave the side panel open with the acrylic cover.
Without that the G4 wins hands donw - with that the WOW factor on the G5 is unmistakeable.

The G5 interior is simply the cleanest design Apple has ever executed and they do well to show it off. Everything is fully dressed - no sticky tape or hanging cable nest in this brute.

It's modular in look and function for cooling purposes and definitely in my mind represents a huge step forward.

The G4 MDD case is excellent in looks when closed and also in drive bay funtion. But it's rae tag old gen in finish and cable dressing.

The G5 is surprising in that it is see through - something that may not be apparent in highly lit show rooms. Internal lighting really makes the G5 stand out in a way the G4 cannot.

Both good - the G5 an new gen in my opinion. :cool:

You might want a poll on the all time best looking Mac - the Cube would be a runner there. :eek:

#4 ·
All depends on which G4 case we are talking about.

MDD - I give it to the G5.
QuickSilver - QuickSilver hands down. (Reason I voted G4)
Anything earlier then the QuickSilver line - G5.

But that is just my opinion. The Cheese Grater G5, at first, like the LCD iMac was very seemingly out there, but after looking at it more, you see there is much more beauty in it.

Just my 0.02

#5 ·
IMHO, the B&W case was the closest to the original concept and even though the transparent handles looked cool, the frosted handles made the thing look more unified. I also really like the G3 emblem partially visible through the side panels. Again, just my opinion but graphite is grey and quicksilver is just light grey. The G5 guts may be elegant but the box still looks like a compromise between a stunning concept and the limits of sheet aluminum. I feel that the power mac is overdue for a new design idea, something as brilliant as the flat panel iMac. ... end of rant.

[ January 12, 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: old dawg ]

#7 ·
Hey, Big DL, I know what you're saying...

[I think the case design of the G4 is like that of a carbon fiber hand crafted sports car as compared to the G5 that looks to me like a plain jane front seat only pick-up truck.]

I sorta felt the same way when I first saw the G5. But Apple has always been ahead of trends, and I think they're seeing a move to more squarish, industrial design. Not just in electronics, but in everything. Seen the Honda "Element" or their new "concept SUT"? Straight lines.
The G4s & B&W G3s stood out from the army of PCs (and earlier Mac beige boxes) because they were "round" - curved lines - with varying (yet tasteful) textures and tones. They also complimented the original iMacs.
With all the imitators, the G4 doesn't stand out anymore - it was time for Apple to move on. Besides, consumers get bored very easily.
The natural evolution was to a more industrial concept. Minimalist. Straight lines. Understated elegance. Strip away the "carbon fiber" and expose the sleek aluminum. Very bauhaus.

So I "get" it. And given time, I'll probably love the G5 design. But as for right now, I still prefer the "Volkswagen Beetle-ish" round, friendly G4 design better.

(My 2004 prediction: Apple will introduce LCD monitors which incorporate aluminum in the design somehow.)

#9 ·
Interesting to see the G4 way out front in the poll. I voted before reading the remarks and thought I would be in the minority.

I agree with others here that the QS is the best looking G4. I have the MDD which is not quite as nice looking. For some reason it appears short and wide (although I know it must be the same dimensions as the QS). The other G4 family members really don't do it for me. But the B&W is a beauty. I still miss my old Blue - but love the power of the MDD. This baby rocks.

#11 ·
The people have spoken and the results are clear and they aren’t even close.

The problem with the G5’s case is if I were in shop class and wanted to build a metal case based on Apples wonderful design cues I would have come up with the G5 case. :rolleyes:

I am very sorry but I have no taste just ask my wife.

Needless to say my wife makes all of the decisions with regard to any aesthetic considerations. If I could come up an industrial design like the G5’ design it is not good news.

It is like the Groucho Marx line “I would never join a club that would have me for a member.”

#14 ·
Well, I own a G5 and a G4 and all things considered I still prefer the QS G4 case. The G5 will probably wear better in the long run and I intend to transform it into something sculptural once it has become well and truly obsolete. It's beautiful in an austere, Spartan way.

Still, I prefer the tower form factor which precedes it because of all of those delicious curves and delicate, sweeping surfaces. And what a great design for accessibility. Too, its size is a little more delicate and convenient than the monster box that is the G5. In many ways the new tower design looks like some Popular Science throwback, as if it were cooked up in some hobbyist's basement shop. Nothing against hobbyists, mind you. (;->))

#15 ·
I like them both, though I like the modern "industrial" look of the G5. However if it was included in G4, I'd pick the Cube hands down. To me it looks like decoration, not a computer.

#16 ·
I like them both, though I like the modern "industrial" look of the G5. However if it was included in G4, I'd pick the Cube hands down. To me it looks like a sculpture, not a computer.

#17 ·
I think I agree with the majority on the best looking tower. The Quicksilver does it for me.

I actualy suprised to see that so many people chose it as well. I thought I was alone on that. Wish I had one though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.