1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From their email ...

What a drag!

Goodnight Everyone!

"Goodnight Everybody!" is the farewell cry we have heard every night since Charles has been at C&G - He has usually been the first one here in the morning and as he left each night around five he would bellow out his goodbye for all to hear. We will hear that cry for the last time when we close our doors on July 3rd.

It is with profound regret that we inform you that Casady & Greene will close its doors on July 3rd, 2003, after nineteen years in the Software Publishing business. We have endured many industry downturns, but the last three years have presented a series of economic disasters from which we were unable to rebound. Please know that we are deeply grateful for your patronage and have been honored to serve you and please accept our very sincere apologies for any difficulties or inconveniences caused you by our closure.

The individual authors of our products have provided us with a list of contact points for customer support and product purchase. Those contact points are listed below and we encourage you to explore the web sites of all the authors whose products we were privileged to publish and seek support as needed from the talented individuals who wrote your software. Again, we extend to you our heartfelt apologies as well as our enduring gratitude.

None of us wants to hear his final Goodnight - all of us wish we had found the magic answer that would have kept us at least afloat and preferably brought us back to full sail. It has been a great run, and while we all wish it weren't over, the struggle to stay afloat in the last few years has taken it's toll. It's time to close the doors and ... we couldn't go without saying goodbye. You are the reason we have been here working without pay for the last year, You are wonderful. You, our customers, have been a great community to serve... thank you.

Very Sincerely,
The Stockholders, VPs and Staff of Casady & Greene

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Awww... :( They were such a great company, too!

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
I'm going to play Devil's advocate here, but I think C&G closing their doors had nothing to do with consumers purchasing "computers loaded with extras". I think their product line was rather lackluster and very stale dated:

</font>
  • Captain Bumper</font>
  • Chaos Master</font>
  • Conflict Catcher</font>
  • Glider Pro</font>
  • iData Pro</font>
  • InfoGenie</font>
  • Spell Catcher</font>
  • TimeSlice</font>
  • Zone Warrior</font>
... and others.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised they've last this long.

I wonder what they were thinking. None of this software screams absolute must-have. The only real decent piece of software that deserves to be deemed usefull is Conflict Catcher.

I hate to say it, but it looks to me like C&G lacked foresight and vision to see explore the possibilities in producing software for OS X that we need. But, that's just my opinion. ;)

·
Banned
110 Posts
Oh, look! There's Cassidy and Greene that never did evil and remained classy to the end.

Lets insult it and a representative who has the decency, despite losing his job along with who knows how many others, to extend its good wishes and thanks, and kick it in the head before it loses all sensation in death. That'll teach it!

To those who worked at Cassidy and Greene, thanks for the work you did, the terrific apps and the support. I'm one of thousands who will miss you.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
It's rather stupid to insult the company because in your eyes they made "useless and outdated software." Obviously, not everyone thinks like you do. There were enough users who thought their software was well worth the dollar.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
"There were enough users who thought their software was well worth the dollar."

Enough to keep them in business? You should have bought more...

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Jeez people, chill for the life of Riley. :rolleyes:

It's a beautifull thing to see people get so emotional with knee-jerk reactions and make such thought out points of view. I'm glad you have such tolerance for other people's points of view.

Lars, of all people, should be the last person to be calling anyone stupid. If you go back to my post... you will see no reference to how I believe everyone thinks like me. Get hooked on Phonics™. :D

Of course, I'm sure you intelligent folks have never blasted a company, let alone a living, breathing, person for their decisions... ever.
Let he without sin cast the first stone.

Get over it. It's a company, not some lame mule lying on the side of the road with your's truly kicking it in the side of the head. I was giving an objective point of view.

After all, this is a discussion board. Oh, I forgot... we're on Planet Lars®. :confused:

But then, I wonder... how much software did either of you purchase from C&G?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope... they certainly weren't Adobe, nor Aldus, nor Microsatan. And yep the products were probably Tier II (well maybe Tier III) But they were very reliable having purchased at least three off the top of my head ... Spell Catcher (Evan Gross who wrote Spell Catcher used to be on MAGIC, eh? ) SoundJam and Conflict Catcher)

But the thing that gripes me is that they had a wonderful Brand - good service, great attention to detail and their Prez sending out wonderful emails and very intelligent thoughts. So very Cluetrain as you could discuss, comment and get emails back in response to your input!

It is sad.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Man, sometimes the strangest arguments spur from the most benign posts.

Sure, I may not miss C&G per say, as I no longer use most of their products. However I do feel bad when a long established company who provided me and countless others with products that at the time were quite great.

Most importantly I feel bad for the people who worked there. Any time a bunch of people lose their jobs, that's just not cool.

To all of those who worked at C&G, I wish them nothing but the best of luck and hopefully they can use all they've learned to explore new ideas and re-invent themselves.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Hey Lars..

It's rather stupid to insult the company because in your eyes they made "useless and outdated software." Obviously, not everyone thinks like you do. There were enough users who thought their software was well worth the dollar.
Are you going to go against everything I say? or is it just a fad? I am allowed to express my opinion.. without you editorializing my posts... also, if you noticed, the company is DEAD.. therefore there were not enough people buying their stuff...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
For those who losts their jobs here in Canada.. there should not be a problem getting work with another company. There are several computer companies out there, and you are not the first people to loose their jobs during the "downturn". I do feel sorry for the people in that situation, but I think everyone knew that C&G was dying about a year ago.

Also, about kicking the company while down, it's gone.. already.. there is nothing left to kick..

Cheers,

RtC

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Etaoin Shrdlu and Lars... relax a little bit.
I have the exact same sentiments as mannyp, who just expressed his opinion without any rude insults. Its not like he emailed his opinion to C&G and I'm not sure how many C&G employees or their families read ehMac. Even if they did, I don't think its like they're pan handling at the side of the road playing the violin.

A lot of nice, classy people run companies that don't work out. To criticize a business model is not insulting the people that run the company.

·
Premium Member
7,115 Posts
Maybe I didn't convey my theory in a more positive light for some, but I most certainly wasn't trying to insult those individuals who develop for the Mac platform. C&G have certainly made milestones in the pre-OS X era.

That being said, I have supported C&G and it's developers (being a purchaser SoundJam and Conflict Catcher when I bought my first Mac -- a Performa 6360/160) which were both great products.

That being said, I think the point I was originally trying to make is that a great program such as Conflict Catcher could have evolved into something great(er) on the Mac OS X platform. They could have pushed and evolve their products to join the new wave of Mac OS.

Anyway, those are my 2 pence. Carry on :D

·
Banned
110 Posts
Mannyp, you and RicktheChemist are right.

I apologize.

Casady and Greene had it coming, according to this.

I allowed nostalgia for the good ol' days (memories of Casady & Greene stuff, System 6.2, System 7.0 and my LC) to run off with my common sense).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts