Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is finally time to buy a new car. Virtually all the models I'm looking at have CarPlay but I have a couple of questions:

Does CarPlay need its own data plan (extra $$$?) or does it just use cell data from the iPhone? I use Apple Maps for directions now so I presume CarPlay won't use a tonne more data?

Does CarPlay work decently with multiple iPhones? Four of us in the family have iPhones and any of us might take the car at any given time. My current car really only allows alternating between two Bluetooth connections for entertainment and hands-free calling...which is a pain-in-the-tail at times. CarPlay must be better, right?

Any other gottcha's or other issues with CarPlay?

Craig

·
Super Moderator
1,751 Posts
Think of CarPlay like AirPlay; it's just a display and interface for your phone. It has no brains on its own. So whatever your phone provides, and whatever phones are permitted to connect (assuming you need to grant permission.)

Only gotcha I can think of is there's also wireless CarPlay, which might be handy if it's an option. Otherwise you need to keep an iPhone cable handy.

·
Premium Member
5,427 Posts
I have used it in a rental car in Germany and my parents cars both have it. You can swap out devices no issue when plugged directly in. I think if you are connecting via bluetooth then you may have some syncing issues. Would say go directly connected via a cable rather than bluetooth. Easier, direct connect and nothing you need to do on the phone save unlock it.

No extra data plan, it is using the data and processing power of your phone for everything it does and displaying it in a format that works well for a car display.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I'd never even thought of the AirPlay/CarPlay symmetry implying that it is mostly just an alternate display interface. Duh!

Now to grit my teeth and go visit some car dealerships.

Craig

·
Registered
8 Posts
Craig,
You will find that each car manufacturer interfaces with CarPlay, in their own way, but once it is running it functions great. The interaction with the iPhone, Apple Maps and Music is flawless. The displays are beautifully done, as I guess you would expect from Apple. Without a doubt the best interface I've ever seen in a car. Very easy to use and the more I use Apple Maps the better I like it. Good luck with your purchase. Glenn

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Glenn. The new car should be ready on Wednesday. Looking forward to finally trying this for real.

Craig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts