Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think (and some others might as well) that the posts in the "trading" section are being overkilled by posts by some resellers (aka Carbon) Anyone else think this is a little overblown???

·
R.I.P. Don - 06/21/2020
86,927 Posts
Well, lemme see TCB. I think I remember Carbon as being one of the major sponsors that keep this forum alive and well. That in my mind outweighs any negatives in the trade section. If that is what it takes to keep ehMac going, God bless Carbon. And may He also bless anyone not bright enough to pick up on the importance of sponsorship to this site.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Section sponsor and we are in a new prod cycle: deals are to be had + posted. Had I not been late looking @ the post, I would have picked up the one of the older G3 iBooks on clearance. 1 step too late... :(

Carbon paid for this opp. did he not??

H!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like them I do agree with Carbon being here since they support ehMac. I don't have a problem with them advertising persay just perhaps better management of that advertising is in order (in my opinion).

I mean there is a double post regarding free t-shirts, honest mistake but one could still be deleted. Thats one example. Also if any of the items have sold those posts could be deleted. (Right now im assuming they havn't since the posts still exist..)

Im 100% for them being there, just perhaps it could be kept cleaner to help keep the advertising to a minimum and more front page space for the users.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly my point....better management for the forum. Maybe a seperate forum for resellers...I don't know the answer. I do like Carbon...great place and great people...I just wanted to start a freindly debate.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Well a seperate forum for resellers wouldn't be as appealing to them. The whole point is to be there and grabbing our attention

As was said they paid for the space so sure its theirs ive got no problem with that. I just don't want them to 'waste' it ya know?

Meh its their space to do with as they please i guess.

·
peek-a-boo
17,353 Posts
Well they paid for the pleasure I guess. But it would be a nice though if it just were maybe one possibly two less stickies? Macdoc just has the one in Everything else and I read the deals there in one go quite easily regularly. Just a friendly thought.

·
Premium Member
31,035 Posts
Okay I've stayed out of this and the other one but MacDoc also pays a sponsorship and we find it quite adequate to have a single post at the top of our Anything Else forum that we update from time to time.
I just sent a note to another reseller about multiple posts in Trading Post. One post for mulitple items is fine for anyone.

The forum rolls past far to quickly.

$$ are paid for Banners and a spot at the top. We chose not to have a banner cuz if you don't know us by now with our activity on here then.......

A banner for sponsors if they want

A single pinned at the top post that an be changed hourly if they want for those paying money

One post at a time for ANYONE else even with multiple items. That's being considerate in a limited space

IMNSHO :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,814 Posts
So long as the forum keeps going -- and the ads stay in the buy & sell.

·
Registered
153 Posts
what if we split the trading post into more specific sub trading posts?
like maybe one for just Macs, maybe another for Misc.

like i'm kinda interested in JUST and iBook and there is much to filter through?

just an idea?

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I am pleased that Carbon is a sponsor of ehMac, however their posting goes against the rules of the trading post...as posted by the mayor.

1. Use of the ehMac Trading Post is for private individuals only. The Trading Post may not be used by Mac dealers or Resellers without the consent of ehMac.
That being said, perhaps the Mayor gave permission and did not inform residents.

But IMHO, being the sponsor of the forum does not mean they have the right to break trading post rules. Besides, if you let Carbon break the rules...other businesses should be allowed too.

Also of note...I live in Ottawa so I am not all that interesetd in what a TO reseller is doing anyways.

My two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
That being said, perhaps the Mayor gave permission and did not inform residents
BINGO
Although I assume said permission is part of the sponsorship agreement, so implicitly he did inform us

we find it quite adequate to have a single post at the top of our Anything Else forum that we update from time to time.
I just sent a note to another reseller about multiple posts in Trading Post. One post for mulitple items is fine for anyone.
Oh, so now one sponsor is criticizing the other publicly - not sure that's a good idea ... the phrase "mind your own business" comes to mind ...

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Some of the "mess" must of been cleaned up, because I just took a look and only saw 4 posts from Carbon in the Trading forum. 4 posts seems reasonable to me. Of course there weren't 2 posts for t-shirts, so it look like some posts had been cleaned up.

I also assume that Carbon got EhMax's approval to post. Unlike Vertigogo, I don't think the mayor has to tell the residents of Ehmac every time he's approved a Reseller to post. And as far as breaking rules, I think we should assume innocence before being proven guilty. There's nothing to say Carbon didn't get EhMax's approval so let's not pronounce Carbon guilty just yet. There seems to be a few judges and juries around here...

·
Registered
661 Posts
I'm sure they did get permission, but the on the main page of ehMac.ca the description of the Trading Post says:
"Buy, Sell & Trade PERSONAL Mac gear."
I too appreciate their contributions, but they get a banner everywhere you look (exaggeration, I know). Sure there are deals to be had there, but they're simply retail deals-- I don't need to see every little sale they have on in a trading post.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Dudes... come on, now. The rules may state that only personal selling is allowed, but if ehMax personally creates new rules or makes a contract for a reseller for their advertising, the posted rules will NOT apply to them - and ehMax is in no way required to tell us, the ehMac residents, of who advertises here or what their contract (and/or modified rules) are. Period. If the posted rules in the trading post do not apply to the resellers (which they obviously do not), we are in no way obligated to know that or what rules do apply to resellers.

It's not that hard. I don't tell my readers on Inside Apple who advertises on my web site, either, nor do I have to (let alone what my "rules" are).

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
Carbon seems to offer excellent deals in the Trading Post area.. and I love the fact that they offer special incentives for ehMac folks.. I don't mind seeing several Carbon ads in the trading post, and I don't mind being asked to view them in order to support ehMac...

Carbon.. excellent work...

Cheers,

RtC

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
so must the resolution be something like 1 single post that gets updated as new product pricing/incentives/deals are had?? I do see the touch of cluttler....

H!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.