Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I am in South Dakota. Took 12 days to drive from Labrador to here. Anyways, I did a clean-install on my in-laws Performa 5215CD Power PC and got it running a whole lot better. One problem- when starting up AW 6.0.4, we are now told that Carbon Lib cannot be found. I can see it in the Extensions Folder (from AW 6.0.4- version 1.0.4 -Apr.2000), but for some reason, it's not being seen(?). Does someone have a quick fix instead of reinstalling? I don't believe they have the original CD to reinstall.

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess there's 2 questions I need answered- why isn't the Carbon Lib originally installed by AW 6.0.4 (which I dragged to the new System folder) not recognized, and, if I stick with OS 8.0, where can i get the Carbon Lib that is compatible (the links you gave me are for 8.1 and above).

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
You don't have the requirements to run AW 6.0.4

From Apple's site:

An Apple computer with a PowerPC processor
24MB of physical RAM with virtual memory set to at least 25MB
Mac OS 8.1 or later
QuickTime 4.1.2 or later (included on CD)
A CD-ROM drive (for installation)

So there is no way to get a compatible version of the CarbonLib for OS 8. The 8.1 update is free anyway, and is also much more stable then 8. There shouldn't be a reason you won't update (at least that I can think of)

·
Premium Member
5,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, okay. That makes sense. I must have upgraded my in-laws to 8.1 3 years ago when I was out here last. I don't remember doing that, but that would explain why they have 6.0.4 on there. Thanks. I'll have to upgrade them again.

·
Registered
234 Posts
AND 8.1 supports HFS+ which can save you a whole lot of disk space, especially in smaller file sizes. You have to reformat the drive, though. I've been successful at converting to HFS+ with Action Space Doctor before, but you may not want to risk it and prefer to reformat (a safer option).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts