Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed Carbon Copy Cloner on an iMac at work, I was/am going to use it to copy on a weekly or data folder containing all our files. I don't need a full clone of the hard drive, I am only worried about content (have time machine and another offsite backup). So I purchased the latest version of Carbon Copy Cloner (v4) and started to run it on Saturday. It got interrupted in the process and stopped. Looking at this computer it now has about 70 gigs free instead of the 400 gigs free it had before starting this process. What has happened here?? I am assuming CCC is eating up my space as nothing else was installed to take up this much room. It was copying to a hard drive I have at home for a second offsite backup. Does Carbon make some other backup somewhere on the main hard drive?

·
Premium Member
3,882 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Safety Net was indeed on. I will take a look for folder and see what is sitting there and delete it.

Is the timeout feature supposed to help when a computer goes to sleep in the middle of a backup? I think my big issue is just getting the first backup done. It will take a while to transfer 300 or so gigs of data. Will probably just leave the iMac on all weekend and make sure sleep and screen saver is turned off.

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
The Safety Net was indeed on. I will take a look for folder and see what is sitting there and delete it.

Is the timeout feature supposed to help when a computer goes to sleep in the middle of a backup? I think my big issue is just getting the first backup done. It will take a while to transfer 300 or so gigs of data. Will probably just leave the iMac on all weekend and make sure sleep and screen saver is turned off.
Having computer set to never sleep is absolutely critical for both updates and back-ups. Since you are not backing up the OS I am wondering why the need for CCC since in many cases a simple drag and drop would be adequate.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having computer set to never sleep is absolutely critical for both updates and back-ups. Since you are not backing up the OS I am wondering why the need for CCC since in many cases a simple drag and drop would be adequate.
I want something automated so I don't have to manually do it every week and from my understanding this will update only files that have changed since the last time as well.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
Seems to me the main purpose of cloners like CCC or SuperDuper is to clone the OS too, so as to have a bootable backup which will have your system up & running gain in no time.

Far faster than a Time Machine restore!

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems to me the main purpose of cloners like CCC or SuperDuper is to clone the OS too, so as to have a bootable backup which will have your system up & running gain in no time.

Far faster than a Time Machine restore!
I have a local time machine backup as well. The CCC will be backing up a data folder to an offsite hard drive.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know where the safety net files are stored? In my search I have not found where exactly it sits so I can manually delete it. I turned it off in CCC, but have not gotten around to running a new backup yet and want to clear up some of the space it ate up.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,496 Posts
Does anyone know where the safety net files are stored? In my search I have not found where exactly it sits so I can manually delete it. I turned it off in CCC, but have not gotten around to running a new backup yet and want to clear up some of the space it ate up.
It goes to a folder marked

_CCC SafetyNet

It's the first folder on my backup drive.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help and info, turns out the culprit eating up the hard drive space was something else. I have a device called "Lima" that you connect to an external hard drive (in my case at home) and it basically gives you access to that drive anywhere. When trying to do the first backup something went wrong in the transfer and left a large cache file which is where all the drive space went.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts