Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been checking out their web site all month to see when they will update their Sales and Specials Flyer to reflect the dates we are at right now. I see that the Cinema Displays in the Sales section are still priced at the old prices. Plus the Specials Flyer still shows specials until July 24th.

I was just wondering how Carbon Computing could let both of those pages go so long with out being updated? Especially when prices have dropped for the Cinema Displays?

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Most companies that have a store don't usually keep their web sites updated to date as much as they should. I see this all the time. And the fact that most of their customers buy from their in-peron store, not via their web site.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Lars,

How do you explain online stores like Future Shop? Staples? Macwarehouse tries to be on top of things with their online store. IKEA is another online store with up to date prices etc... I could name a ton of online stores like the above. So they do exist on the internet.

There are many stores that keep their online stores up to date. I think if a business is going to take the opportunity and advertise online, that they should live up to the responsibility of keeping it up to date. From a business perspective it doesn't look good when you own both and your online store is 2 months or more out of date.

Some times people just click on the BANNER on the forums, they may not live or ever go to the actual store. But if they see some of the prices are higher then lets say another Mac online retailer, then they might have lost a customer and sales due to that. Of course that is my opinion

·
Registered
719 Posts
Carbon is a small single owner proprietorship, not a MNC like Ikea or Future Schlock that has a full time IT department. At Carbon, one of the sales guys does the website when he gets a chance.

Secondly, Carbon is not allowed to sell via the web, because of his agreement with Apple. Mail order is a big no no unless you are an "established" customer or the equipment is used.

·
Registered
113 Posts
An enterprising critic would turn this around and call them to offer the service of keeping their site up to date.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
Like Britnell said. Perfect. :cool:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Also, the amount of sales that are done via the online sites of small retailers are limited. Normally, the sites listed addresses and contact information and nothing more.

Cheers,

RtC

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
To me it's irrelevant whether you're a small proprietorship or a large corporation...if you're going to maintain a business presence on the internet ---THAN MAINTAIN YOUR SITE!

What's the point of having a site for your customers or potential customers if it's not maintained and out of date? Doesn't instill confidence...does it?

Note: although it sounds like one, this is not a rant. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
To me it's irrelevant whether you're a small proprietorship or a large corporation...if you're going to maintain a business presence on the internet ---THAN MAINTAIN YOUR SITE!
If you are a large corporation and have millions of dolars to pay somebody to keep it updated and running 24 hrs a day then go ahead, but dont tell the average Joe who's working his ass off to maintain his business that he is not working hard enough to statisfy you.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Obviously they're not working hard enough...

Point being, you have a business site, treat it as a business site, if you can't keep it current...remove those portions that need high maintenance. It's simple and nothing to do with satisfying ME...it's not about me.

One more thing: since when do you need millions of dollars to upload a current price list, or current specials?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kps,

That is exactly my point.

It is so annoying to go to any companies web site and see that it is out dated by more then a month. If I was a new member here and didn't know anything about Carbon Computing, I might be turned away after noticing that their web site lacks the prices of a few products that should be updated. Remember folks, first appearance is very important when trying to establish a great customer relationship. One would think that Carbon Computing doesn't care to keep their customers informed with great Sales or Specials after July 24th. Maybe Carbon Computing isn't lowering their prices on the Cinema Displays or Sonnets upgrade cards etc.... It leaves so many questions to the customer which shouldn't.

Also, being a main sponsor for ehMac.ca would make me want to take that 5 minutes and make sure my corporate web site was up to date.

Britnell,

It wouldn't take that long to update a few prices to keep up to date. Unless we are assuming that Carbon Computing is experiencing 1000s of customers per hour each day, that the sales guys don't get a few minutes every week or two to update the prices? I understand that Carbon Computing doesn't allow sales via the internet. That isn't the point. It all comes down to Marketing 101 and how you should run a business.

--------------------------------------------------
If you want to use the internet for business, you need to treat the internet like you would in real life. You wouldn't advertise in your store the wrong prices or specials to your customers. If you did, you would be out of business very quickly.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Hello,

It has nothing to do with having millions of dollars to help pay someone to maintain the site. It's simply a matter of marginal benefits versus marginal costs. Perhaps the business owner doesn't feel that spending the extra money to maintain the site is paying off in extra revenues?

Perhaps someone who wants experience updating web sites could volunteer to do Carbon's site for free? This type of experience may be extremely beneficial to someone who wants to enter this profession.

James

·
Registered
719 Posts
If it is not such a big woo woo to you personally, why are you continuing to bitch?

Apple dealers run on thin margins, so I doubt that Ron has the extra money to hire outside staff.

What time of year is this? Is it Holiday Time? Ya think that maybe the store is short staffed at this point and updating the website is not a huge priority over helping a physical customer with cash in hand?

As for Ron not working hard enough, KPS, unless you are working 14 -16 hour days, 6 days a week, I suggest you zip it because you certainly seem to have no idea of how small business works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is why all companies large or small need to keep the web sight up to date. I need to buy a new dp 1.25 g4. I found that carbons price was higher than some others on the net. So I will buy from Digital Prototypes. if companies can't take a few minutes to update there web page makes me wonder about there customer service. If they can't update prices then why bother listing them on the web at all? Just tell people to call the store for pricing. So in the end Carbon lost my business cause of an out dated web page. That simple. So how much other business did they lose out on? Something to think about.

Cheers

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Guido, for making an excellent example of why it is very important to stay up to date or just say please call us for prices. You see this is exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Did I say anything about Ron, Matt? I couldn't care less if they update their site daily, but to have a month old flier still up is not good business and that's the point. If you, because you worked there at one time, want to be their apologist, so be it.

...and BTW, I ran my own business for 14 years (sold in '95), so I suggest YOU zip it. ;)

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
but to have a month old flier still up is not good business and that's the point.
Who REALLY cares? If 90 percent of their customers are local, then the need to update online prices is barely there. Sure, it's good to be updated in both ways, but to make a big deal like this out of it is just plain stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Lars, I think the point is that if you do anything 1/2a$$ed, it reflects poorly on your business. Now with Carbon being a sponsor here AND having a brand new store, you would think they would do the best at everything as it reflects back on them tenfold. (especially in this community)
I also have and do run my own business and the only advice I was given is this. You only have one chance to get clients/customers. If they are pissed off they will tell ten people not to use your service. Very good advice.
Personally, I hate people who don't update their sites at least weekly. (CPUesd finally got a winning combination)
Just my 2cents worth.
Robert

1 - 19 of 19 Posts