Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
RtC, those are different profiles of a tire size. You should not put tires on your car that are not meant for the car. Your manual will tell you the acceptable tire sizes re the height, width and depth of the tire. Go in to a car dealership of the make of your car, or even Canadian Tire. They have all the specs for the various cars.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
I find that some of the staff at our local Canadian Tire store were quite helpful in explaining the meaning of these numbers to me.

·
Premium Member
15,710 Posts
Go there for advice, but then shop around. Buying tires at a dealership is a fool's errand.

RtC, those are different profiles of a tire size. You should not put tires on your car that are not meant for the car. Your manual will tell you the acceptable tire sizes re the height, width and depth of the tire. Go in to a car dealership of the make of your car, or even Canadian Tire. They have all the specs for the various cars.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,692 Posts
Good point, HowEver. Still, the dealership will tell you what tires you need for a specific make and model of car. Then, you may buy these tires elsewhere.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
details re: clearances.

Will 175 70 R13 tires replace 155 80 R13 tires without problems?
It all depends... from the good folks at [url-http://miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html]miata.net[/url]
View attachment 3090
I would be hell bent to get rid of the 155s. If I could.

What kind of car? Seems to me if memory serves this was a fairly common swap on some earlier Civics.

The 175/70s are 20mm wider at their widest, and are only 1.5 lower. If you have more than 10mm clearance inside between tyre and strut and btween tyre and fender with your 155s you could be in business. You should check your rim width - for 175 it should be a minimum of 4.5". In terms of looks, they will actually fit your car quite nicely and give it a (very) slightly tougher, 'sportier' look.

The dimensional difference results in 553 rev/km for the 175/70s versus 551 revs/mile for the 155/80s, which is a speedo error of 0.5% fast - indicated 100kph is a real 99.5 - way within ordinary speedo error.

You will notice a slightly firmer and more precise feel when cornering depending, of course, on any variations in construction, tread, inflation, etc., etc.

I run 215s on my Accords in place of the stock 195s all the time. Of course, YMMV...

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
I will have to check I guess.. no idea what's on there right now. The width is edge to edge I presume..

RtC
Should be in the owners manual under "Specifications" or some such word.

EDIT: any shop that has a tire balance machine will have a caliper device that takes the reading. It can be done right on the car.

·
Indigent Academic
8,115 Posts
According to DragTimes, a '99 Accent has 4.5" wide rims. I very, very much doubt, based on 45 years experience screwing around with cars, that Hyundai went narrower in 2000, so you are laughing there. :lmao:

Time to do your home work and get dirty. You need 10mm clearance - the new width is the old + 20mm - with half that difference goes to each side, hence the 175 will need 10mm more than your current 155s.

The average human male's thumb joint is about an inch wide or about 25.4 mm. You need 10!

If you can get your thumb (more is better) between the widest point on your old tyre and both the fender and the suspension (anything nearby for that matter) you are good to go. Do it with the car sitting on the ground and level, not on a hoist with the wheels hanging. At the front do your check with the wheels straight ahead and with the steering full-right and full-left.

Experience suggests it will fit but I've never dealt personally with a Hyundai - I have however done this oversize-tyre/stock-rim gig on Austin Healey, MG, various VW bugs & buses, a Rabbit, a Volvo, a Pontiac, a Jetta, a Civic and 4 Accords. Always I have felt that there had been a performance improvement, never has there been an issue. For me, it is a matter of tweaking or personalising the car just a little at minimum $$.

But as always YMMV. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts