·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been reading some very interesting articles:
ArsTechnica
DaringFireball

[WARNING: ABOVE MAY SUCK SOME HOURS OUT OF YOUR LIFE]

Although I have been using a Mac since '94, I am still [very relatively] new to the platform, and indeed computers; I was 8 at the time, so my experience was narrow. I basically entered the Brave New World of computing with my Sawtooth G4 in 2000, waist deep in OS 9. Then, a tsunami hit. It went by the name of 10.

OS X was big for me. I finally had access to 'power user', 'ubergeek' type functionality, and I basked in it. I shunned the old OS 9 ways, once I acclimatized myself to browser-style Finder, etc. I scoffed at the uptight, crochety old fogies still clinging desperately to the sinking ship of pre-10 madness. Let's just say that the 'demoability' of X won me over.

I'm somewhat ashamed at my ignorance, but I've since realized (after reading several articles on the issue, including the above) that this, like most things, is no wonderfully black-and-white matter. The spatial Finder is indeed an enticing notion; I devote an impressive amount of mental energy to filesystem organization. Most people snicker when I say that. But, the browser functionality of X Finder is very useful as well.

Anyhow, after all of that personal story drivel, I've finally come to my point. And now, upon rethinking it, I realize that I don't really have a point. I had a vague notion of beginning a very deep discussion about the pros and cons of both OSes, but the ArsTechnica article basically renders that line of thought moot; he has, in my opinion, come up with some incredibly brilliant (yet deceivingly simple -- and thus Apple) solutions to the complex problems presented.

So, I'll change the message icon to the information pushpin thingie, rewrite the title, and generally just put this up to share the wonderful articles with the rest of the ehMac crowd.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Podboy

[P.S. In case I did not make it blatantly obvious, I no longer hold those shortsighted Draconian views of OS 9 clingers (except for the annoyingly loud ones -- they ruin it for everyone, just like the X ultra-proponents). I can appreciate that both approaches to filesystem browsing have very unique benefits and shortcomings, and that 'the Mac way' worked well for roughly as long as I have been alive.]

·
Registered
363 Posts
"Anyhow, after all of that personal story drivel, I've finally come to my point. And now, upon rethinking it, I realize that I don't really have a point."

don't you hate it when that happens?

i'm glad you've made peace with the current duality of mac life. i wish more people could.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I can feel my hair growing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts