ehMac banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an iPad pro, the newer design without fingerprint reader. All updated to latest. I have noticed this for a bit but never really looked into it. In Safari I cannot open a link in a new tab. I get an option for open in a new window but not a new tab. I have the option on my iPhone, latest updates. Was this removed from the iPad OS for some reason or is it something wrong or something turned off on my iPad to not give me the option?

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
On the latest update, Apple changed “open new tab” to “open in background”.

Gee, their phraseology and so called logic just blows my brain.

I guess they call it a new OS "feature" as well.

- Patrick
=======

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the latest update, Apple changed “open new tab” to “open in background”.
That is it, no idea why they changed the wording when all it is doing is opening in a new tab.

I am sure it sounded great to their think tank in the Applesphere where they decide what is best for all of us.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
That is it, no idea why they changed the wording when all it is doing is opening in a new tab.

I am sure it sounded great to their think tank in the Applesphere where they decide what is best for all of us.
To be fair, there are two options is settings for open links; "In New Tab" and "In Background."

If you have the latter selected it's telling you what it's going to do. I suspect if the former is selected you'd see the text you're accustomed to.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be fair, there are two options is settings for open links; "In New Tab" and "In Background."

If you have the latter selected it's telling you what it's going to do. I suspect if the former is selected you'd see the text you're accustomed to.
I do not see to settings or options for "in new tab" and " in background" All I see is "in background" on my iPad. The iPhone has open as "new tab". So iPad and iPhone are different in their verbiage.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I do not see to settings or options for "in new tab" and " in background" All I see is "in background" on my iPad. The iPhone has open as "new tab". So iPad and iPhone are different in their verbiage.
Huh, so happy they split the iOSs up, nice and consistent now :cool:

I wonder if the toggle is the equivalent to the two options on iPhone (e.g. off is "In new tab")

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh, so happy they split the iOSs up, nice and consistent now :cool:

I wonder if the toggle is the equivalent to the two options on iPhone (e.g. off is "In new tab")
yeah, unless it is just a glitch with my iPad. Also if I was going to change this wording (which I would not) I would have it the other way around. The iPad looks like like Safari on the desktop, you actually see the tabs so to me it would make sense to say "open in new tab" whereas the iPhone is like a bunch of different pages which are stacked so "open in background" seems to make a bit more sense.

It feels like Apple is just making changes for the sake of change, not to actually improve anything.

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
... ... ...
It feels like Apple is just making changes for the sake of change, not to actually improve anything.

And this is precisely why Apple is annoying so many users it seems with their latest OS versions and their "new features".

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And this is precisely why Apple is annoying so many users it seems with their latest OS versions and their "new features".

- Patrick
======
I just updated to Mojave and will stay there for the next while. Not ready to move away from 32bit support at the moment.

I started with Macs with the first iMac release and have been using OSX since 10.0.0. Every year it was exciting for the changes and actual improvements that came along. I think it was Snow Leopard that was the last great release that gave big speed improvements and noticeable refinements. There have been some little things here and there over the years but I really stopped caring about most of it and have not been suckered in by the company that has become so self righteous. You do not tell people how great you are, if you are really great people know.

·
Premium Member
15,398 Posts
I just updated to Mojave and will stay there for the next while. Not ready to move away from 32bit support at the moment.

I started with Macs with the first iMac release and have been using OSX since 10.0.0. Every year it was exciting for the changes and actual improvements that came along. I think it was Snow Leopard that was the last great release that gave big speed improvements and noticeable refinements. There have been some little things here and there over the years but I really stopped caring about most of it and have not been suckered in by the company that has become so self righteous. You do not tell people how great you are, if you are really great people know.

So true, and I agree completely, and with later macOS versions after Snow Leopard, I just got so fed up with Apple's removal of so many old small features that I used to use, and there was nothing useful with anything "new" for my use, that I finally gave up and went back and have been using Mavericks for several years now and still am. It works just fine for my use thank you, and with all the little features I used over the years all working.

Heck, I just got my wife's old iPhone 4 out of our archive drawer to use with my 711 SpeakOut cell service as I received a notice that my old Samsung GSM 2G flip-phone I have been using for years would become kaput and no longer supported at the end of December 2020.

It works very well for my use, Thank you very much, even though I keep reading that it is, along with macOS Mavericks, no longer "supported", whatever that is supposed to actually mean!!!

The later macOS Mohave is of no use to me as my mid-2011 iMac can only run High Sierra as its latest macOS version anyway.

- Patrick
=======

·
Registered
563 Posts

iPhone: Settings > Safari > Open Links : In New Tab / In Background

iPad: Settings > Safari > Open New Tabs In Background : On / Off

The text verbiage reflects your setting choice.

On your iPhone you have “In New Tab” and iPad you have “... In Background” On.

Change iPad to Off to get a consistent experience (or visa versa).

Personally, I prefer Tab on my phone (because I usually want to see it right away) and Background on the iPad (because I usually want to look at it later).

·
Registered
563 Posts

I started with Macs with the first iMac release and have been using OSX since 10.0.0....
So true, and I agree completely, and with later macOS versions after Snow Leopard, I just got so fed up with Apple's removal of so many old small features that I used to use, and there was nothing useful with anything "new" for my use, that I finally gave up and went back and have been using Mavericks for several years now and still am. It works just fine for my use thank you, and with all the little features I used over the years all working....
=======
Studies indicate the brain circuit that helps us adapt to change fades with age.

As you get older you have difficulty adapting to change.

It’s unfortunate when it’s accompanied by vitriol, but that seems to have become the tone of ehMac these days... “You kids get off my lawn!”

1 - 13 of 13 Posts