Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new MacBook Pro three weeks ago. I've been trying to install apps and files to get it to work like my old one that won't boot anymore (a lot of frustration). I came to a sticking point with my Canon MG5220 and MX320 printer/scanners, as no driver I downloaded would get them recognized (or show an icon). Finally I called Canon Support and was told that Mac OS 10.13 isn't compatible with Canon printers and they're working on the issue. Since I can't use either Canon product to scan/digitize, would anyone have any suggestions of other companies' printer/scanners or just scanners that are good for high use and work well with Mac OS 10.13?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I purchased a new MacBook Pro three weeks ago. I've been trying to install apps and files to get it to work like my old one that won't boot anymore (a lot of frustration). I came to a sticking point with my Canon MG5220 and MX320 printer/scanners, as no driver I downloaded would get them recognized (or show an icon). Finally I called Canon Support and was told that Mac OS 10.13 isn't compatible with Canon printers and they're working on the issue. Since I can't use either Canon product to scan/digitize, would anyone have any suggestions of other companies' printer/scanners or just scanners that are good for high use and work well with Mac OS 10.13?

Thanks in advance.
i have always told my clients for the past 15 yrs - stay away from HP and Canon..
best options : Epson or Xerox - the most Mac Friendly and supported out there.

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts
Try the HP printers/scanners that Costco sells. They're reasonably priced and have worked with my Macs for years, old OS or new. (If it doesn't work, they'll take it back.)

i have always told my clients for the past 15 yrs - stay away from HP and Canon..
best options : Epson or Xerox - the most Mac Friendly and supported out there.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
This is one of the most impressive, frequently updated, and useful apps that exist for the Mac: a scanning solution that brings new life to older gear.

VueScan

The Canon MG5220 and MX320 are both listed as supported.

VueScan also has built-in multilingual OCR, which works well in my experience.

The basic version gets you free updates for a year; the Pro version gives you lifetime updates. And the developer is ridiculously good at updating this app - nobody else releases updates so quickly. Also very responsive if you have a scanner that's not listed.

IMHO, very much worth the purchase. Download and test it before you buy.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Try the HP printers/scanners that Costco sells. They're reasonably priced and have worked with my Macs for years, old OS or new. (If it doesn't work, they'll take it back.)
problem with HP they install too much bloatware, cost of inks are too expensive.

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
problem with HP they install too much bloatware, cost of inks are too expensive.
And add the fact that several members at another Mac forum have been fighting to get their HP printer/scanner to work, and especially troublesome with Sierra and HS!!!

For some reason. Apple seems to have great talent for screwing up many printers/scanners with their OS X "upgrades" — if one can actually call them that!!! :-(

For that matter, other brands are also included and not working as they used to.

What would really be useful is something like "VueScan" but for printers. And for both inkjet and laser etc. printers.

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
problem with HP they install too much bloatware,

According to an apple document I was reading recently, if a wireless printer/scanner was being setup, no drivers or software is actually required as apparently it's already builtin. Well, so they say… hmmm…??? I never tried.

·
Premium Member
17,980 Posts
My $0.02 - I will never buy another HP product. Too many years, too many headaches, too damn expensive.

I'm thinking that I really only need a B&W printer at home - and of late the best value for dollar + good compatibility has been the Brother line of B&W laserprinters (multifunctionals). I'll never own another bloody inkjet. If I need something done in colour, there's a print shop just up the street that's fast and cheap. Photo prints via online service or the printshop, much more convenient.

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
I came to a sticking point with my Canon MG5220 and MX320 printer/scanners, as no driver I downloaded would get them recognized (or show an icon). Finally I called Canon Support and was told that Mac OS 10.13 isn't compatible with Canon printers and they're working on the issue.
That's a bunch of Canon B.S. according to apple's document.

Both those printers are supported as: Canon MX320 series * and Canon MG5200 series * and the * indicates a recent update.
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201465

Then there's Apple's own set as well:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_CA&locale=en_CA

Using the "Reset Printing" stuff and a new install may be needed to get things working, either via wired connection or wireless for use with HS.

- Patrick
======

·
Premium Member
17,823 Posts
Various Mac forums are literally littered with threads about this or that scanner/printer combo not working properly after an OS upgrade. I think one is far better off with single function devices.

FWIW I have kept my old MacPro going on Snow Leopard, precisely because I like my old Epson scanner. Replacing the computer would also entail buying a new scanner and probably a new printer.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I'm using a Brother laser printer now as I had to replace my HP laser printer.

I would not recommend Brother to anyone. Their software/drivers suck. Jump through hoops to get the right settings which never stay default. Print quality is lacking and doesn't print well on heavier papers. (not card stock).

HP printer was a real workhorse and great graphics output. Toner costs the same for both, $120 range, and lasts the same.

Next printer will probably be Xerox. Hard to find just a printer these days, so many have scanners/copiers built in. (one more thing t break/go wrong)

·
Premium Member
15,768 Posts
I would not recommend Brother to anyone.
Wow! That's rather a surprise to hear especially now, as they used to have some great and reasonable priced printers and AIOs and were usually right up to date with Mac OS X software.

Actually I know a lot of Mac users who gave up owning any printer and just have folders setup that they "send" their print jobs to one of the several local print/service shops and then pick it up when convenient. Works for them. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts