Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I Can't disable alloying "push notifications" popup message.
Help...
I'm hoping some admins or moderators can help me get this damn Pop Up message notice thing turned off and so far nothing I have tried has worked.

I have followed the directions from this site as well, but it did not work:

None of the clickable options work if I attempt to click on them. The Never option would be my optional choice.
I am using Google Chrome with Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.5

The annoying pop-up started showing up about a week or two ago and I'm fed up with it.

This is the pop up message I keep getting and I can't get it to go away with any setting I seem to have available to me.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Technology Magenta

Please help...
Thanks.

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A work around is to enable the notifications. Then click on your user icon and click on Account Settings > Preferences and then scroll down to Push Notifications and uncheck that option.
Unfortunately, none of those suggestions will work. I am not able to Enable Push Notifications or any of the other options in the pop-up notice and there doesn't seem to be any setting or preference that would allow me to disable any Push Notifications.

I was hoping that one of the admins or moderators could disable the annoying notice or change some of the settings for my account that I don't seem to have.

According to my Preferences, any Push Notifications are already blocked according to what I can see, which is also greyed out:

Font Rectangle Screenshot Number Parallel

Hopefully some admin or moderator could disable the stupid annoying pop-up notice at the server end... Please... 馃槒

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be nicew if they could pop in fairly soon and provide a solution.

Bounce!!!

Any Admins available with a working suggestion or who could turn off the stupid pop-up message I cannot get rid of???

The only way I can get it disabled is to log out or switch to another browser (Firefox) which I don't really want to do, at least not yet.

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry, have to wait for @VSAdmin to look into this.
Maybe you could give them a nudge and let them know a member needs their help In getting a stupid interfering notification Pop-up disableled that I cannot seem to get rid of or prevent from showing up.

That would be really nice. 馃槒

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe you could give them a nudge and let them know a member needs their help In getting a stupid interfering notification Pop-up disableled that I cannot seem to get rid of or prevent from showing up.
Here's hoping it's permanent, but two days later and I seem to have found success and the notification pop-up is no longer popping up.

I won't bother explaining all the details to get success as it was rather involved and complicated, but basically involved creating another person in my Chrome browser and then deleting some and cloning back a back up setting and modifying it. Rather a PITA and fiddley bit of time-consuming modification. I just hope it stays working without any annoying pop-up. But I don't know why it would have started doing so in the first place.

So call off the hounds for now.

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And this started happening the day they all upgraded to this new version; and it happens in all browsers.

I appreciate your comments TILT, but I must say I only had the problemin with my Google Chrome Browser and the problem only just started recently until I was able to get it fixed which I must admit was a long workaround hassle.

I am assuming that you must have the same trouble as well, but in all browsers??? Maybe have a look in your Notifications Preference pane In case there is some setting you could disable or enable to fix the problem???

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If so, try disabling all extensions to see if that resolves your issue. If it does, start adding them back again and test until you find the one that is causing the issue.

@TiltAgain
You may even want to try booting up using safe boot mode and see if the problem continues or possibly disappears.

If it disappears, that indicates that some third-party software is causing the problem and it may not even be an extension and the browser you are using.

If you are using a new apple software mac, you may need to check their support site as to how you boot into safe boot mode with such machines as they use a different process to previous version Macs.

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Edited to add: I am afraid I have to eat crow. I logged into the Guest account (where there are no extensions anywhere); and I was able to turn off Notifications from Safari.

That doesn't really make much sense or explain why you have the problem with Safari that doesn't even have any extensions enabled.
But Notifications is a separate application and should have its own user preference settings.

Anyway, good luck with your searching and trials.

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
This brings me to understand that it is probably uBlock Origin that is causing the problem; but I do not have the technical ability to understand which setting in uBlock Origin the culprit is.
I don't useuBlock Origin but you should be able to disable the whole thing by toggling off the on-off slider switch which shoe should be able to access from going to the Firefox references and the Extensions options will probably be towards the bottom on the left column which you will need to open. You can also access the extensions by entering "about:addons" in the Firefox address box.

Restart firefox after making any major adjustment in the extensions.

With the extension disabled, you should be able to tell whether that extension is causing the problem or not, regardless of option settings the extension may have available.

You should see something like this:

Product Rectangle Azure Font Software

You may also want to look over some of the hits from a google search on "mac how to disable browser notifications:" like this:

Good luck and I hope you find some success. Maps are getting a little bit too complicated for many to use these days with too many features available that are hard to control. 馃槥

- Patrick
=======

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
If the only problem you are seeing is on one site, You can just disable ABP on a single site.
I would just like to add that my original posted problem has returned on this site and the only way I can prevent it from showing is to use Adblock Plus and disabled ads on ehmac ca.

The annoying notifications pop up message I attached in post #1 does not happen on any other website that I visit. Something goofy in the ehmac ca settings for my username and I have found nothing at my end to fix the problem. Something that ehmac ca server settings seem to be doing.

- Patrick
=======

1 - 11 of 11 Posts