Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep running into more and more quirks on ElCapitan which I never had on SnowLeopard.

Latest one is that one cannot copy a large number of jpgs at one time from an SD card.

My camera uses an SD card to record images.
The card I use is a 2 GB Kingston SD card.
It had about 1200 jpg images on it using up roughly 1.5 GB on the SD card.

When I plug the SD card into the MacMini running ElCapitan, everything shows up fine, I can look at all the pictures, but when I then select all 1200 images to copy them to a new folder on the Mac Mini, the window shows up ready to copy but no copying takes place.
I have waited five minutes and then gave up.

When I then select 300 or 400 images at a time, the copying process proceeds normally.
So in the end I can accomplish what I set out to do, I just have to do it in three or four steps, 300 images at a time.

Anyone know what is going on?
Is there a maximum number of images I can copy at a time?

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts
Anyone know what is going on?
Is there a maximum number of images I can copy at a time?

I don't know unless it may be some sort of memory thing, but then it should just take longer that you tried.

Was there any sort of message and did all photos eventually copy and nothing corrupt?

What did you use to do the copying?? And if you didn't use Image Capture.app, I'd give it a try but setup a folder that you want to copy them to first unless that has been improved with El Cap'n.

PS: At least you found a solution but that's a lot of data to move all at once using 1200 selected images!!

Maybe google using your thread subject for an answer.

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried googling - nothing relevant came up.
Re memory, I have 16 GB of RAM and about 100 GB of free hard drive space, so I don't think that's the issue.
No message - all that came up is the window with the progress bar, but the bar neither moved nor was there any indication any jpg was actually being copied. I waited about 5 minutes and then quit the process.
Not the first time that happened.
To do the copying, I just plugged the SD card into the Mini, opened up the folder that showed up with the jpgs on the SD card, selected all the jpgs on the SD card and grabbed and dragged them to a new folder I had just created on the Mac.
I didn't use any app.
If I did exactly the same thing except only selected about 300 or 400 jpgs, copying that way worked fine.

I have since deleted all the jpgs on the SD card otherwise I could probably try to select bigger and bigger chunks of jpgs to see at what point copying like that no longer works. Trial and error approach.
I was just wondering if anyone had come across this issue or could shed some light on what is happenening.

·
Premium Member
15,684 Posts
I didn't use any app.
If I did exactly the same thing except only selected about 300 or 400 jpgs, copying that way worked fine.

Try using Image Capture.app as the Finder does have finite limitations and resources.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts