Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a burned cd with OS 9.1 and 9.2.2 on it. When I go to Startup control panel when booted on my OS9 partition, I cannot choose the 9.2.2 system on the cd to boot off of. When I'm booted into OSX, I go to the Startup in System Preferences, I can choose either 9.1 or 9.2.2, Is there any reason why I can't boot off the cd when booted from my OS9 partition?

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
There could be a bunch of reasons.

Some of the more common reasons:
The 9.2.2 System Folder doesn't have a blessed Finder (no "Mac" icon on the System Folder). A generic folder icon is a dead giveaway for this problem.

Incorrect System Enabler file (or Mac ROM file) in the 9.2.2 System Folder.

The 9.2.2 Folder is not at the root of the CD directory.

Try holding down the Option key when booting, if both OS9 folders show up in the Graphical Open Firmware as a button (this takes a little while) try to boot off the 9.2.2 and see if it works.

If it won't show up when Option-starting, then something is wrong with the boot disk's 9.2.2 setup.

·
Registered
778 Posts
If you use the application Toast, there is an option in it to make a "bootable" volume when you are burning it.

If you dont do this, you will never have a blessed volume as gorduide said

·
Premium Member
7,069 Posts
Toast does not have the "bootable" option anymore. To make a bootable CD, they say that you can now just simply drag a working system folder into it! (As of version 5) Generally to bless it, you just open the System Folder before burning it....

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Disc Burner does not make bootable CDs. According to the knowledge base (last time I looked) a bootable CD had to be HFS format, and Disc Burner can only do HFS+, and thus not bootable.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>from the Toast 5 Titanium Help

You cannot create a bootable CD with the Mac OS Extended choices on the menu. If you try, after you click Record, Toast will display a message indicating that a bootable Mac OS Extended CD is not possible.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
OS9 can create a HFS standard disk image, but OSX can only make HFS+ images.
To be bootable, it has to be HFS standard.
Since at least one system folder on the disk will boot, it doesn't seem that is the problem.

Anyway, go here:
MacWorld Quicktime install disk
... and get the steps you need to make a perfect boot disk.
Hint: click on the arrow at far right bottom in the player window, and save the movie for later reference.

I'm not sure why you need a dual OS boot disk, but you could try a multisession burn to see if that helps (ie create 2 disk images, and burn them both on a CD. Make sure you have enough room for both). My guess is this may not work for booting (ie with the C key at startup); it seems likely it will boot from the first image it finds. Still, you will be able to select either image with Startup Disk while booted from the HD in OSX & OS9 for a restart from the CD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts