Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Canon PIXMA MP170 hooked up to my PC and its sharing. My Mac finds it and is trying to use the Generic driver for it (Generic something or other?). I downloaded the drivers from Canon's site and installed them. It asks me to reboot and then I'm back to where I started! I cannot find any trace of the drivers and I cannot find the name of the driver in the list when I select "Canon". What is going on here? Where would I best look for the drivers? I'm new to Mac and I am actually figuring out the OS pretty well. This is currently my only problem. At least tommorow I get a free 1 hour session of a trainer at Yorkdale :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
Using the Printer Setup Utility from the Utilities folder in your Applications folder, delete any printers you are not using. Sometimes you will end up with duplicate printers having been set up. If your Canon is listed there.. delete it and any extras of it you find.

Then go and "Add" your new printer from this utility. Do not add it more than once. It should work this time. Sometimes it takes a few moments to find and add. Be sure your printer is not only attached, but turned on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can add the printer fine but the problem is: I do not see the model of the printer in the driver selection part of the set-up. I installed the drivers from the canon site and restarted (it was one of those .pkg install things). I cannot find any trace of the installation of drivers. All I can get by using spotlight is a "canon" folder with 3 sub folders (Device Info, Extended Data and Template). All of the folders are empty.

The printer is connected to my desktop PC and the Mac sees it on the network and knows its there BUT it keeps giving me "generic driver" or somethign along those lines. Theres no driver available in the "model" selection of the printer preferences that matches by printer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts