Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of ordering the Canon 9900F Color Image Scanner along with my iMac order. However, might someone translate this into English? Merci.

"MAC OS X NOTE: Scangear CS driver and CanoScan Toolbox quick scanning utility are available in Mac OS X native mode."

Any comments on a scanner that is mainly for 35mm color slides and is compatible with a new iMac would be greatly appreciated.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Macdoc, I have hundreds of quality slides and photographs. Many, so I have been told, are professional quality. I am considering getting a Canon i950 printer to print off some of these pictures and slides once I can scan and save them. The photo scanners that I have been reading about are $1000+, but this one will be half the cost, and is Firewire equipped.

I took some of these slides into a local photographic store to have some of them scanned and put onto a CD. This was fine for a few of the slides, but I want total control over the whole process (which is one reason why I am getting an iMac).

Canon claims to have website drivers for the latest OSX Mac computers.

Still, thanks, as always, for your prompt and candid info. Merci.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
You won't get the scan quality of a photoCD off ANY desktop - dedicated film scanner or not.
With a Pro PhotoCD you get truly high quality scans in multiple sizes. $1000 buys an awful lot of PhotoCDs.
I'd shop around for a "bulk" deal and then you will immortalize your precious pictures. One client often has it scanned in in "negative" - claims a better result...can't comment on that. tho'.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/professional/products/storage/pcdMaster/aboutPCD.jhtml

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Macdoc, thanks for the advice. I guess the problem would be finding the person here in St.John's with the ability to scan the slides onto a PhotoCD. However, that is my problem of a local nature.

A scanned slide on a PhotoCD would be readable by an iMac? I know that if I took a digital picture, uploaded it into iPhoto, I could do some cropping and then print it off, or just save it on the hard drive for an eventual download onto a CD or DVD.

Sorry to ask such novice questions prior to even getting the iMac, but I want to put in an entire order, similar to what Pamela is attempting to do, and I want to get my facts straight prior to this order.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Dr.G. - I have at least two friends around here who had slides to scan. They were both connected with local universities and colleges and solved their problem by contacting their AV departments who were able to lend them the necessary equiments for a short period of time. Problem solved and money saved. Hope you can do the same.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pras, thanks for the advice, especially since I teach here in St.John's at Memorial University of Newfoundland. Problem is that this is not for academic use, as the iMac shall be, and I would be hard pressed to convince someone on campus to let me use their professional scanner to scan the slides I have of the World Trade Center and the Statue of Liberty.

Still, it was kind of you to offer this advice. Merci.

Are you familiar with Macnutt on this forum, who is also from Salt Spring Island? Ask him about his possible snowman party on Canada Day.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
You just send your slides and negs anywhere that the price is right and they send them back with the PhotoCDs - this is not something you do yourself.

You CAN scan yours into the Mac yourself and save it to a CD but the scan quality will not be anywhere close to a PhotoCD level.
( There are quality levels you can choose )
No university has the level of equipment tht produces like a Kodak Lab does. This has been an ongoing problem in explaining to people.
Basic scanners are just awkward digital cameras so they ALL are reasonable. Software is a problem - Epson seems to keep up the best.
Beyond that transparency scanners really are only for position as far as high quality goes altho something like the Perfection 2400 will be very good quality for amateur use and will look wonderful on a screen.
The idea of scanning transparencies is to be as high resolution as possible with no loss or little loss when scaling.
That's why the PhotoCD idea works well as you can work with the smaller images provided( lower quality not different physical size or image area) .
Then the changes can be applied to the hi-res series - some of which can bog down even a high end Mac.
Remember your LCD will not render colours of your slides accurately altho Apple is the best of the bunch and I'm talking for Pro colour work.
If you have your film and slides kept carefully you can always go with a lower res PhotoCD and any that turn out to require higher end scanning can be rescanned later. You are not talking a lot of money to do a PhotoCD and it can be done by mail/courier etc.
Do your homework. :cool:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
134 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr.G.:
Are you familiar with Macnutt on this forum, who is also from Salt Spring Island? Ask him about his possible snowman party on Canada Day.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand. In that case, macdoc's solution then seems the better way to go.

No, I haven't had the opportunity to meet macnutt although he probably lives only a few miles from me. We probably even drink coffee at the same hangout in Ganges--the 'Roasting Company'. I'll have to do some investigating into this Canada Day party--I'm sure our Chamber of Commerce won't allow any reference to snow in July. In fact, they almost insist that we wear shorts already now!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Dr.G, as a student at UNB, I could go to the AV dept. and say: " Hey, would you guys have a scanner I could borrow" I would get the answer, "sure, what are you looking for?" "Something that could scan slides and such into a computer" "Sure, right here, you will have to sign this paperwork, and put down a deposit and there should not be a problem"

i.e., the AV dept. at MUN should be able to accomodate your request without much of a sweat. Also, a UNB, we have an AV lab of just Mac computers that was equipped for everything and anything. Got something like that at MUN?

Cheers,

RtC

P.S. Canon scanner support in OSX sucks.. I can't use mine unless I buy VueScan...I'd rather keep my 30$ thank you very much...

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Macdoc, RtC, pras, thank you all for this detailed advice. I shall heed it and postpone my thoughts of a scanner that is compatible with a new Mac and does what I want re scanning of slides and pictures. I think that Macdoc's advice is the most worthwhile, although I have been doing my HW, in that I had not considered the PhotoCD route. Merci to you all.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts
No problem Dr. G - many , even those trained in the field, overspend on scanners and still don't get close to what they are lead to expect.
When you figure it takes a $10,000 camera back to get enough resolution to get even close to a $2.00 roll of 35 mm film you begin to see the difficulty.
For some things, analogue still rules.

I would certainly recommend getting a basic photoscanner - they are very useful and enjoyable for all sorts of things - online transmission being one and using your pictures as a slideshow/screen saver ( OSX is terrific for this) is an excellent way to kindle fond memories of past travels and events.
It's actually a good use for old Macs - using GraphicConverter to randomly roll through your travel photos. :D

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, thanks for this detailed advice. What, in your opinion, is a quality "basic photoscanner" that will not be problematic with the new iMac? My price range was in the order of $500, but I could go twice that amount, or, as we all like to do, spend far less. I had been looking at the Epson Perfection series, as well as Canon and HP. I guess the problem is that most independent reviews focus on a Wintel environment. This is why the expertise of people like yourself is a real service to the general population of Mac users.

·
Premium Member
30,887 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info, Macdoc. Actually, as I previously mentioned, the Espson Perfection 2450 was one of the scanners I was considering. Then, after a variety of searches for reviews, and comments from certain people on the MacWorld Forums, I started to look at dedicated film scanners that also had APS options. Websites for photographers usually have the best reviews, but so few even mention Mac compatibility.

Still, in that the Epson line was given the "Macdoc seal of approval", I shall reconsider this line of scanners. Thanks for your candid comments. I am sure that you must tire at giving advice. Still, as one of the main "MacMavens of ehMacland, you must realize that "...heavy is the head that wears the crown." Merci.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Macdoc, I just read 3 consumer reports on CNet re the Epson 2450. All warned against utilizing this scanner in any sort of OS X environment, with 9.2 being the only OS that seems to work without major problems. What did your customers utilize with this scanner?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts