Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's site highlighting the price differential for Canadian Macs. However, given the rather fluid exchange rate and the unpredictable impact of the Iraq war, I doubt we'll see any adjustments soon.

Wonder if the "Alliance of the Willing" partners get a better price break?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
With the way the market is behaving, especially with the impending "war', the value of the American dollar will be fluctuating. However, until things stabilize a bit (or the value shifts dramatically) It would be nuts for Apple to try and change prices on such a daily basis.

However, they should at least keep aware of the changes. Once things calm down (which if estimates are correct, might be by tomorrow, since I doubt this "war" will last long) Apple should re-evaluate it's prices to reflect a closer exchange/conversion.

Time will tell...

:cool:

·
Registered
282 Posts
I was just doing some research - comparing prices in the states versus Canadian dollar prices over here and it IS definitely true that on average you can save yourself around $500 - $1000 off a machine if you're prepared to lose some of your savings in transit headaches and taxation weirdness.

I don't know if you guys saw the recent ad by a company called "Marbella Technologies" in this month's MacAddict
: http://www.applepurchaseprogram.com

...they run a system whereby you pay them a $250 license fee and select from a listing of available configurations of Apple computers, they then collate a giant listing of customers willing to part with their money and bulk order from the warehouse. This way they save a bunch of money and pass the savings onto the consumer.

It sounds interesting, but again, you're back to the whole headaches associated with shipping and duty...

...the nice thing is, you potentially save anywhere from $500 U.S. to $1,200 U.S. (depending upon the config and system) when you use them as the go-between.

Anyone experienced purchasing a state-side Apple machine? I buy software all the while at work, but I've never bought a machine from across the border.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The bulk purchase sounds "too good to be true". They run an ad, get the $250 from hundreds of hopeful bargain hunters, and send out emails that it will be a while before they can complete your order to save you a bundle.

Then in a month or so, they simply take the money and run, leaving maybe hundreds of suckers out their "license fee". (A license to be fleeced!)

And can you trust that the savings will be passed on in full? There would be a big temptation for them to keep a hunk of that markup. Are you sure that you won't have to pay "in advance before delivery", and be at risk even more then the initial $250?

I would check this one out thoroughly before putting even a dime up. Ask Apple if they would sell this way. Find out how long they have been doing this, etc.

Johnny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts