Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in London Drugs this week and noticed two different brands of CD packs of 50 on sale for $7.49 each.

What a deal I thought, as I grabbed one of each brand (Verbatim and Sony) and headed for the check out.

The clerk rang them up and said, "That'll be $37.08 please."

But, but, I said, they are marked $7.49, I protested.

Correct said the clerk, but that is before we add the compulsory $10.00 each tax for the Canadian Artists Fund for you music thieves. Well, he didn't say it exactly like that, but that's the way it sounded to me.

I guess it is London Drugs way of saying, "Hey, it's not our fault."

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah, London Drugs has been doing that for awhile now. They call it a CPCC Media Levy. I haven't seen any other stores doing it, though. Seems like it's just a deceiving way to make your CDs/DVDs look a lot cheaper than the competition.

·
Registered
565 Posts
That's a great move. I applaud this idea. Taxes should be up-front and clearly on the sales bill where consumers can see them - not hidden in the sticker price.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
True enough... if every retailer did it. Then you'd know how much you're getting slammed.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
LD has been doing this since the levy came out. Whatever their motives, it does allow them to advertise their products lower than the actual price, which is borderline dishonest.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LD has been doing this since the levy came out. Whatever their motives, it does allow them to advertise their products lower than the actual price, which is borderline dishonest.
Depends on one's interpretation. I call it brutally honest.

We should after all know that we pay nearly twice in tax what the product is actualy worth. And that is BS.

·
Banned
7,966 Posts
Dishonest, why?
Is there not a levy on the media?
Is that levy not there to compensate for royalties?
I think that what they do serves to inform about the levy and maybe people will have less qualms about fair use - unlike the record companies that seem to be on a campaign of disinformation.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It should be clearly labelled because many people do not know about levy. If you advertise $7.49, the assumption is only GST + PST, no more, now if it is marked the assumption is invalid, since it is advertised.

I think the levy is bad for people who are honest. I have 4 computers, I use CDs/DVDs to backup my pictures, my documents, my work. Why am I paying a tax for my own creations? Especially since my pictures are Creative Commons Licenses.

I'm paying a tax for people I don't even care about.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It should be clearly labelled because many people do not know about levy. If you advertise $7.49, the assumption is only GST + PST, no more, now if it is marked the assumption is invalid, since it is advertised.

I think the levy is bad for people who are honest. I have 4 computers, I use CDs/DVDs to backup my pictures, my documents, my work. Why am I paying a tax for my own creations? Especially since my pictures are Creative Commons Licenses.

I'm paying a tax for people I don't even care about.
It wasn't advertised. It was marked "in-store".

But add "my" music to your list and that is what I use CDs for too, along with archiving my newspaper columns by issue. It is a badly thought out tax method.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts