Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts
I have to admit I had never heard of her. Grade 12 Social Studies was right after Gym class. It is possible I nodded off during the 10 seconds Miss Reid might have devoted to the subject.

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
As long as it's worth $10, I'm OK with it.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Poor choice given many more deserving and far better known women they could have picked.
Anytime you have this sort of thing it will be open to debate. Kim Campbell would be a choice someday, but I would have liked to have seen Judy LaMarsh on the bill. The real issue I see is that many do not know of her, and probably many of our youngers don't know who LaMarsh was either.

I wonder if Gerda Munsinger got any votes!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Anytime you have this sort of thing it will be open to debate. Kim Campbell would be a choice someday, but I would have liked to have seen Judy LaMarsh on the bill. The real issue I see is that many do not know of her, and probably many of our youngers don't know who LaMarsh was either.

I wonder if Gera Munsinger got any votes!
I thought the prerequisite is they have to have been dead at least 25 years?
so in most cases a generation would be oblivious who is on the dollar, not to mention - most dont care who is on the dollar as long it is worth a dollar.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
I have to admit I had never heard of her. Grade 12 Social Studies was right after Gym class. It is possible I nodded off during the 10 seconds Miss Reid might have devoted to the subject.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie0xWYRSX7Y[/ame]

This might help you to see why this is an excellent choice. Paix, mon ami.

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts
"Dr. Penfield... I smell burnt toast."

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
...and a bit of trivia.... Desmond in that Heritage Minute is played by Kandyse McClure, South African actress, and formerly Dee on the relaunched Battlestar Galactica. ;)
Did not know this, CM. Still, to have the name of Viola Desmond linked to the name of Rosa Parks is quite an honor .............. and vice versa. Both great women and deserving of our praise and respect. Paz, mi amigo.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
86,945 Posts
Did not know this, CM. Still, to have the name of Viola Desmond linked to the name of Rosa Parks is quite an honor .............. and vice versa. Both great women and deserving of our praise and respect. Paz, mi amigo.
This is exactly why I object to the choice.

You see it's not because of her historical signifigance, rather it is because it is a copy cat move based on Rosa Parks that occured in a small Canadian province. I had to ask who she was, not unlike 90% of the rest of Canada who had never heard of her. This was a regional event, not something that had country wide exposure.

·
Premium Member
42,495 Posts

You see it's not because of her historical signifigance, rather it is because it is a copy cat move based on Rosa Parks that occured in a small Canadian province. I had to ask who she was, not unlike 90% of the rest of Canada who had never heard of her. This was a regional event, not something that had country wide exposure.
I have to agree.

·
Premium Member
17,780 Posts

If the pardon occurred 63 years after the fact as suggested in the clip then she must have pre-dated Rosa.

Obviously it did not have much impact even locally or she might have at least made the high school history books.

I think this one is a real stretch.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts

Are you saying that Rosa Parks was a copy cat of Viola Desmond? Ms. Desmond was arrested on Nov. 8th, 1946 and Rosa Parks was arrested on Dec. 1st, 1955. Hopefully, with Viola Desmond being on the $10 bill her story of courage will become wider known by all Canadians. We shall see. Paix, mon ami.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts

I agree with you. as i remember Canada was much more tolerant and still is today for race relations. I recall Canada had the underground rail round, possibly we could have had the person behind that as the face on the bill - everyone knows about the underground rail road and taught across the country in Canada and US

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
I agree with you. as i remember Canada was much more tolerant and still is today for race relations. I recall Canada had the underground rail round, possibly we could have had the person behind that as the face on the bill - everyone knows about the underground rail road and taught across the country in Canada and US
On April 20, 2016, U.S. Treasury Secretary Jack Lew announced plans to add Harriet Tubman to the front of the twenty-dollar bill, moving President Andrew Jackson, a slave owner, to the rear of the bill. I think that we should stick with Canadians on our money, as much as the abolitionists worked well at bring escaped slaves to Canada on the Underground Railroad.

·
Canadian By Choice
117,382 Posts
Interesting, but I took a US history course in a US university on race relations when I was working on my master's degree. Viola Desmond was mentioned as being a pioneer in the integration movement. The significance of Rosa Parks and what she did had a greater impact upon race relations in the US than did Viola Desmond, but one cannot in good conscience deny the courage that Viola Desmond showed in refusing to sit where "the colored people" were allowed to sit in that movie theater. Paix, mes amis.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts