Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking out the news with my morning java and came across this in the G&M.

When Apple broadens its serv­ice to the Windows environment — expected some time later this year — the potential audience will expand dramatically. Canada will be added to the Apple system when the CRIA completes its ne­gotiations in the fall.

At that time, Canadian competi­tors will also enter the field. One that is ready to go is PureTracks, a pay-for-play service developed by Toronto firm Moontaxi Media Inc.

"All the signals are looking very positive," said Moontaxi founder Alistair Mitchell. "We're still plan­ning our launch for the fall."

The PureTracks content will in­clude material from all the major Canadian record companies and the bigger independent labels, Mr. Mitchell said. The "indies" are cru­cial, because "a big reason why people go on-line to look for music is to find stuff that is new, emerging, niche repertoire," he said.

While the company had origi­nally considered charging a monthly subscription for down­loads, market research clearly showed consumers much pre­ferred a per-download pricing structure
Here's the full story for anyone interested.

·
Canadian By Choice
5,141 Posts
No dates for Canada though..... It's interesting that the physical (paper) Business Section (ROB) has an iTMS screen shot one page 1 and then inside has a nice picture of the iPod. The associated story is positive for Apple and suggests that the company is way ahead of the rest and causing a revolution in music distribution.

·
Premium Member
1,951 Posts
I have a feeling Moontaxi will be in for a heck of a ride, with most Apple users preferring the ease of the iTunes UI over using one service to download and another to listen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
from the same story...

By mid to late September, the CRIA will have completed negotia­tions to set up a framework for paying music publishers and com­posers whose music is down­loaded on pay-for-play systems, Mr. Robertson said.

That will allow Canadian-based services to start operations, he said, and allow U.S. systems such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes "music store" to expand into Can­ada.
yeah!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Because we "Can". :D

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I am hoping we can get our online sales for independant artists up by Sept 1, hopefully we will get some press like the Apple store (Doubtfull, but I can dream can't I!)

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
I wonder if ill be able to get apple to put up my new record(once its done) on the itunes canada site(when its done)
If you are associated with a music label...should not be hard. However, Apple has said that it is not going to be working with individual artists. They are sticking to labels only (at least for now?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts