Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I've been trying to watch CTV.ca news online, but I receive an error message from the pop-up video window asking me to download a newer version of Windows Media Player. XX)

I have the newest version of media player, and according to the CTV.ca help section, Mac users are told to use Rosetta mode. I've done that too but am still unable to watch CTV.ca news online. I've tried also with Firefox, to no avail.

Can someone help me fix the problem?

Many thanks,
Matty

·
Registered
394 Posts
Have you tried using the Flip4Mac plugin for Quicktime? Microsoft discontinued the Media Player for Mac some time ago and the Flip4Mac plugin is what they've endorsed as a replacement. It's more up to date than the last version of Media Player is, so that might do the trick.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
This is one area that Apple needs to step up it's A-Game. Windows Media Player with it's DRM is all over the net, and Mac users are left out. Apple needs to come up with some kind of cross platform Quicktime solution for free, let companies use it for free (so they don't have to pay royalties to Microsoft), and just be done with it.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
It's weird how the episodes work but not the news. You'd think it'd be the other way around if one of em didn't work...

G

·
Hmmm got a url for any of the news videos that don't work?

I ran into the same sort of thing a while back with Citynews ... same sort off errors (you need windows meida v. XXX or flash vesion XXX to play this content) ... what it turned out to be is that they are using a 3rd party for their news videos and I had to setup my browser to accept cookies from all sites (ugg!!) in order to use it as it embeds content from a different site that requires a cookie to run. When it couldn't read that cookie it just bailed out with the default errors above.

·
Premium Member
3,102 Posts
I know it was a crappy show, but how can I watch the remaining episodes of "Pirate Master" since the show was cancelled by CBS and CTV? Canadians can't access content on CBS.com (nor ABC.com for that matter).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.