Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Oh my god, the writer must be PC zealot trying hard to get some MS style security holes attributed to Macs! First off, every one of the *potential* vulnerabilities can be avoided as detailed in the @Stake advisories, *without buying Panther*! Secondly, Jag ships with the firewall turned on, so the remote vulnerabilities are mute.

Now, **pretending** for a moment that you in fact do need Panther, what does this say about Windows? Hmm, with the Mac there are these security problems, and here is a new OS that fixed them. With Windows the OS is so full of holes it resembles swiss cheese, advisories come out *every week*, and we might have a solution to them in 2006 or 2007 when Longhorn comes out (but don't count on it). Give me a break.
[@Stake] released three advisories this morning ... Controversially, Apple has not yet released patches for the security issues.
Rrrrriiiight. So in the hours that has passed since the issuing of this company's findings, Apple has created controversy by not fixing the problems. Oh the drama!

·
Registered
778 Posts
For a correction, the Firewall is not shipped turned on. If that were the case, you would not be able to use your machine. The machine will the firewall turned off without any ports being opened. Once you turn on the firewall, you are then able to set the IPFW rules for what has access to your machine.

Other than that....M$ sucks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
As I see it (and I'm no economist, so feel free to correct me) Microsoft has made the majority of their revenue because they do not ship a reasonably secure OS. They release free incremental patches through the product life, of course; not doing so would be stupid and negligent. However, each new major update to Windows is seen as The Upgrade, the one that will fix all security and stability problems (and cure the common cold, bring world peace, make gravy like Mom used to, etc. -- if you listen to their marketing...). By consistently shipping somewhat-complete products, and lulling the public into a cycle of "maybe next time" (eerily like gambling addicts...
) they can dramatically increase profits.

This has nothing to do with the thread, of course. Just wanted to think out loud. :D

Cheers,
Podboy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well here's your proof as to why these idiots are bad mouthing Apple and OS X.
MS Morons

Pretty funny. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts