1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Are you seriously asking whether you can run MacOS on it or were you just showing us the stuff?

If you were seriously asking, my answer would be no. The machines have no MacOS ROM chip in them - an Apple proprietary chip.

There are other computers that have PowerPC chips in them, but they run some form of unix, just like this one - I saw a blade server (no, not IBM's) with PowerPC chips.

·
Mac Guru
14,627 Posts
but it sure looks like it!
You've got to be kidding... that is the ugliest interface I've ever seen... and a corner dock?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
the website claims that os 9 and os x can be run under emulation at the bottom of the os page.

but has this ever actually been done?

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Yes, Mac-On-Linux is a fairly popular little app that opens a Mac environment in Linux.

Since it runs on a PPC chip that Apple also uses, it runs all right too.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Not on topic but...

I've got a Motorola Powerstack (a PReP machine, 180 MHz 604e) that runs Windows NT 4 SP2! Always good for a laugh...

·
Premium Member
8,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not serious, kosh. Just tossing it in here for us to yammer over

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple uses hardware ROM any more. Ever since they started making open firmware machines they use software ROM. They also use something called the "trampoline" script/code that needs to be there to pass the booting process over to the software ROM from open firmware.

So there may be a chance someone could hack this machine to run OS X by creating some type of a "booter" like LILO or yaboot.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think Apple uses hardware ROM any more. Ever since they started making open firmware machines they use software ROM.
I believe your wrong, but I could be wrong too. I believe a boot ROM chip is still needed. Apple apparently stripped down this ROM a few years back taking out alot of high-level code, but I believe they still have a hardware boot ROM. My guess is the stripped down boot ROM is on a chip since the computer has no access to any drives or devices until some point in the actual running of the code from the boot ROM. Ie. how can it access a software ROM, a software ROM would have to be loaded from the HD?

Here is an info page on Apple's Mac ROM http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1167.html

Ahha... found it... here's a few links to the boot ROM on the G5: http://developer.apple.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?&q=boot+rom+g5&num=10&ie=utf8&oe=utf8&lr=lang_en&simp=1

Looks like the boot ROM is still in a chip to me.

·
Premium Member
3,251 Posts
There has to be a boot ROM of some kind... where do you think the "Bong" comes from at start up?

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
Yeah, I was wrong...there seems to be a ROM chip...

From Kosh's second link:

DIAGRAM....

·
Left The Building
8,381 Posts
Is this PegasosPPC thing for 100% real? Their website looks awfully like that go-l thing. Is it just me?

BTW, the go-l website trumpets a review of their hardware by MaximumPC magazine. But I can't find anything about it on the MaximumPC website about it. Has anyone seen the issue in question on the newsstands?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts