Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have all these help sections for programs i don't use anymore and they make using Help Viewer kind of painful and slow. Can you delete them? i poked around in my library and in Help Viewers package contents, but no such luck...

Help!

Phil

·
Tritium Glow
7,141 Posts
The file: /Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.help.plist

contains a list of applications and the path to the help documents (usually within the application package).

UNTESTED wild-ass-guess: I'd imagine trashing this file would remove the offending help listings... along with all the others.

I'd also guess that the others would be added as you click the Help menu in any application's menu bar.

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Tried this and kinda works as perdicted (the files get rebuilt), but it doesn't solve another quirky problem: some help files appear twice on my list (e.g. Airport help, Mac Help...)
Ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
open the file kps referred to with text edit.

if you wanted to remove help for iCal for example, then delete:

"<key>com.apple.iCal</key>
<array>
<array>
<string>iCal Help</string>
<string>file://localhost/Applications/iCal.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/iCal%20Help/</string>
</array>
</array>"

resave the file.

never tried it, but seem logical, no?

try it on a copy of the file if you have a nervous disposition
check your file for duplicate entries.

·
Premium Member
3,363 Posts
sorry, there should be a whole bunch of angle brackets in there, but they disappear after posting, i guess they get confused for html tags?

anyway, open the file in text edit and the structure will be immediately obvious

1 - 5 of 5 Posts