Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,709 Posts

http://www.wowinsider.com/2007/01/30/wow-vista/

So Microsoft had a little launch of its own yesterday (why can't they do these things at midnight like normal people?), and reader Scott Harris wrote in with a relevant question: "Has anyone tried to see how compatible WoW is with Windows Vista?" If the above banner snagged at CES is any indication, the fun is only beginning -- then again, something tells me they weren't thinking about Warcraft.

I'm not gonna lie -- I have zero plans to upgrade my XP box to Vista anytime soon, mostly because I'm primarily a Mac person (yes, flame on, people, flame on) and the thought of doing the upgrade to the only Windows box in the house sounds about as fun as major surgery to me. However, the trusty intertubes contain some accounts of compatibility, and so far the reports are mixed:

WoW + Vista = poor frame rates.
No way n00b, it's totally faster!
l2computerz people, Vista really has no effect on WoW performance.

Since the jury appears to still be out, we're leaving it up to you, dear readers -- has anyone had experience getting Vista and World of Warcraft to play nice? Any experiences to report?
Oh, I know the initial reference above isn't about World of Warcraft.

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
Torontoguy is right it is to easy to bash Microcrap. They do a good job of it all by themselves.

But, it is just to fun to give up!:ptptptptp

·
Premium Member
9,103 Posts
I actually find it amazing how Microsoft managed to brainwash the faithful.

For instance - they think it's a major deficiency of OS X that Apple doesn't offer five or six different versions of the operating system to chose from like Vista does.
Where is the logic in that?
BTW - these are US prices; Tiger is $129.-

·
Registered
288 Posts
Well Apple makes its money from the OS from its hardware. The sell the OS for $129 because they can. They have already made a good chunk of $$ from the hardware they are selling.

I think MS needs to make most of its money from its software so they have to charge a lot, but knowing that not everyone can spend a large chunk of cash, they will offer a different lineup and different prices. People who have lesser hardware will not require aero. There is also a lot of piracy in the MS world because they cannot tie their operating system to any specific hardware...its pretty much gotta work with anything so for the millions of users out there, probably only a smaller percentage go out and spend money. The rest steal.

If Photoshop for example had 4-5 flavours, then that would be a good thing no? Say not everyone can afford $700 for their full photoshop version but they dont want the totally stripped bottom one but wanted some filters, wouldnt it be nice to have something in the middle? Its the same here.

Btw WOW is probably what they are calling their marketing for their Aero and fancy new look and of course protect...they are pushing their security features.

I run Vista Ultimate and honestly, the slight nagging doesnt bother me. It only asks when I want to launch an executable that is not already installed so foreign executables which include installers will get you a prompt. Admin tasks like changing system settings will get you a prompt. I dont do that all the time and I dont install all the time so its all fine. Its only a pain for the first hour or so of installing all your apps and such.

I actually find it amazing how Microsoft managed to brainwash the faithful.

For instance - they think it's a major deficiency of OS X that Apple doesn't offer five or six different versions of the operating system to chose from like Vista does.
Where is the logic in that?
BTW - these are US prices; Tiger is $129.-

·
Canuck of Enlightenment
949 Posts
There is no reason to have different OS flavours. It is just a money grab. Microcrap just wants to sucker people into buying more from them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The ONLY thing going for the ULTIMATE version, is you get 32 and 64-bit versions at the same time.

For most, that's useless. For me, it'd be safer to have a dual-boot configuration. 32-bit for browsing and gaming, 64-bit for music production and spyware (etc.) security.

But... that's only if I landed some sort of mega-sale and got it REAL cheap.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Seriously.

Vista in Parallels, is not even thinkable. you are looking at a 9 GIG foot print, and all the stuff you would like to try in vista like the Aero Engine will not work...

not to mention it would take about an hour to open from sleep, and completely strip your systems resources... trust me, not worth even trying.

·
Vorlon Ambassador
5,295 Posts
Why should you have to defend your "Wow". I thought Bill Gates said more hackers break into Macs in a single day than Windows in a single month??? Well no-one has been breaking into my Macs this month, so I assume no-one's broken into windows in the last few months! Is this not so? Is Vista unsecure (insecure)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts