Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Epson Stylus Color 860 inkjet printer that I mainly use to print invoices. I have had no problems with this printer except it seems to use a lot of ink.

Since I never print in color I am thinking about switching to a laser printer. Can someone recommend a decent one? Doesn't have to be too fancy because all it gets used for it to print out maybe 4-5 pages every month.

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
My personal favorite in the lower end office lasers is the HP Laserjet 1200 @ 650$. A little on the high side of the low end (more mid range territory) but has a high duty cycle, higher quality resolution, and a small footprint (for a laser).

--PB

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hiya,

I print a lot and I use a Samsung ML-1210. It's sweet especially if you consider the price: $299 or less including a cartridge.

It works great in both OS 9 and OS X Jaguar. They were one of the first companies to have a driver for Jaguar. There's even a Mac section on their website. www.samsungelectronics.com

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
30,884 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,795 Posts
Actually, if you have the cash, the Laserjet 2200DTN is a very sweet machine. OF course with a SRP of 2249$ CDN, it is out of the "cheap" price range.

For more info, visit the HP Canada Website.

--PB

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Doesn't have to be too fancy because all it gets used for it to print out maybe 4-5 pages every month. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you only print such a small number of invoices, is it really worth buying another printer? You can't be using much ink for these few pages, unless they're in black reverse and you're printing in "Best" mode. If you're adamant about having a laser (why??) and your CPU is old enough to have serial ports, try looking for a good used older Laserwriter for cheap dollars dollars. The Samsung is a good value choice if you have the required connectivity. By the way, have you looked for generic ink replacements for the Epson? Future Shop carries some for the popular models at much cheaper prices than the Epson models.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think something is wrong with my printer because this thing just sucks down the ink. Even if I am not using it the ink levels seem to drop. I'm running a G4/867 so I don't have serial ports but I was looking at the Samsun ML-1250 model today.

·
Premium Member
1,666 Posts
The ink levels can't drop when you're not using it unless there's a leaky nozzle, but then you would find ink all over the bottom of the printer. Sometimes when inkjet printers aren't used regularly, the print head nozzles will get plugged and produce poor quality printing, giving an out-of-ink perception. In this case running the Nozzle Cleaning Utility a few times can clear the problem. I use an Epson 740 and can print a ton of pages before I need to refill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts