Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a macbook and I use wireless internet. My question is Can i use my laptops ethernets port to feed my xbox 360 or other items with ethernet to access the interent. Not sure of my wording here but you get the idea.

I want to update the firmware on my toshiba hda2 but dont want to drag it out to my router.

Thanks!

Im sure one of u smart folks know.

·
Premium Member
5,530 Posts
Yup, you sure can.

Go to System Preferences/Sharing/Internet tab.

From there, you decide how you want to share your internet. In your case, you want to share the connection over Ethernet. Since, your laptop is connected through wireless.

I believe you have to also turn on Personal Web Sharing in the "Services" tab if you want the other machines to be able to surf the web.. unsure if that will affect you being able to update the XBox 360 or not.

Mac OS X 10.4 Help: Sharing your Internet connection

·
Premium Member
17,845 Posts
If I understand correctly you want to connect to the ethernet port on your laptop. After you do the sharing bit you will need a cross-over cable rather than the normal patch cable.

G

·
You shouldn't actually need a crossover cable, most hardware in powerbooks since the early G4 models autodetect crossover or straight through and do whats needed automagically :)

·
Registered
619 Posts
You will also need to open up your firewall on the Mac. If it's just for 5 or 10 minutes then disable it (remembering to start it up again afterwards ^_^). If this is a long term thing, as in you will be doing this regularly or for a long time, then I would suggest opening only specific ports.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts