Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way for my G4 Powerbook to play Region 6 DVDs? That's from China.

Are there any programs or tweaks or... ???

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I read somewhere there is a setting that one can change - but apparently, this can only be done a few times before the unit locks up (??) - someone else may be able to expound on this topic. That's just my 2¢... :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can play a different region only five times, and then the drive changes the region. The other way is to find region free firmware for the drive.

I think that if you go to www.xlr8yourmac.com, and look in the drives section, you may find something.

Remember that you're going to be loading tweeked firmware onto the drive. Buyer beware.

John

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's my concern. I don't want to permanently mess up my drive. I hear there's hardware tinkering that can be done too; however, that voids all warranties. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a headache. And all I wanted to do is get Chinese DVDs for cheap. Geez!

The last suggestion would require a DVD burner, right?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!!

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Cynical Critic wrote:
The last suggestion would require a DVD burner, right?

Nope; you could rip the DVD to your hard drive and then watch the movie. Some of the Linux DVD players incorporate DeCSS directly, allowing you to skip the rip step (getting a Linux DVD player to work under Mac OS X would be non-trivial, I'd imagine).

·
Premium Member
6,788 Posts
The Firmware change voids the warranty too.

You can change the region code a total of five times (which I believe includes the initial time that it is set) and then it is locked into the last region that you used. So if you watch that region 6 DVD that fifth time you will never be able to watch a region 1 DVD (we are region 1) in your machine again without voiding the warranty.

What movie is is? maybe just try to buy it in region 1?

--PB

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Cynical Critic wrote:
Is there any way for my G4 Powerbook to play Region 6 DVDs? That's from China.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could always rip the DVD using DeCSS-based[1] software (I'm not sure if there's anything available for Mac OS X, although porting a Linux tool shouldn't be too hard).

[1] DeCSS removes the encryption found on DVDs, removing region restrictions and allowing them to be ripped.

·
Premium Member
5,246 Posts
"... Nope; you could rip the DVD to your hard drive and then watch the movie. Some of the Linux DVD players incorporate DeCSS directly, allowing you to skip the rip step (getting a Linux DVD player to work under Mac OS X would be non-trivial, I'd imagine). ..."

Try Video Lan Client, an open-source player that can play DVDs. Current is version 0.50 for OSX.

VLC

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody! I actually have VLC. It's very useful. I do need to update my version.

It may work but I don't have the DVD with me. A friend in China was asking if he should send some or bring them back with him. Perhaps I'll risk it. It's more for fun than anything - anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.